X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect internet

Hi,

I'm very frustrated! I've tried everyhing to connect. this is what I've done so far:

Icon in system tray shows the following Wired internet connection active eth1

Using konqueror I get "unknown host"

Using "pppoe " command "pon dsl-provider" = so loaded

try Konqueror again and get same thing "unknown host.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong been at it for 2 days now. never had problems with Mandrake.

Your help would be much appreciated

I have a dual boot Vista + Kubuntu 7.04

Re: Can't connect internet

I have a similar problem, but with email. I am writing because I know you are frustrated. I am a newbie, so I can only try to help. I have XP and Kubuntu. I had trouble with Konqueror originally, but I installed Firefox and it worked. Later after many other changes, Konqueror began working, and I don't know what made that happen. I think perhaps updates fixed the problem. If I just use XP, I can get email to work. When I apply the same settings to Thunderbird, both OS's stop receiving except from the KDEforum and Kubuntu Forum; they still come in. KMail would never work for me, and no one has offered to help with these problems so far. It is just a possibility, but try Firefox. Addionally, I use AT&T as a service provider (actually att. yayoo) and they do not support Linux; that is what I may have as a problem. Perhaps your provider does not support Linux either. Give them a call. If that is the problem, I don't know the solution, other than there are some very bright people who use Linux who may have a fix. I hope you can use any of my lame efforts to help you. If I find anything further, I will write. I have a friend who is Linux skilled, but he is hard to get hold of. Good Luck.

Comment

Problem solved!

When configuring pppoe it ask "for userid" I deleted (backspace) userid and then typed in my userid in blankspace my provider gave me and it worked very stupid mistake on my part everything is working now Thanks!

Comment

Just for the archives (coming generations...): purchase an external router. These things store the provider data and any PC connected to it is in the Internet, if the networking is configured.
        I am looking, at the moment, which system would be best to serve my needs, and Kubuntu (installed), Suse 9.2 live. Knoppix 5.1.1 live and Windows 2000 installed in a VirtualBox all installed networking automatically - klick on the browser and you are in the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkyGifford
          Hi,

I'm very frustrated! I've tried everyhing to connect. this is what I've done so far:

Icon in system tray shows the following Wired internet connection active eth1

Using konqueror I get "unknown host"

Using "pppoe " command "pon dsl-provider" = so loaded

try Konqueror again and get same thing "unknown host.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong been at it for 2 days now. never had problems with Mandrake.

Your help would be much appreciated

I have a dual boot Vista + Kubuntu 7.04
          Try this :
          After connecting , Right Click on Desktop and select "Run Command" in the command box enter "konqueror" at left most cornet press option button and tick the box saying "Run as Other user" enter your passord and run it. You'll be able to browse.

Comment

Working...
          X