This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcom BCM4318 Will Not Work!

I have a Gateway 7330GZ laptop with a Broadcom BCM4318 wireless card in it, and the damn thing simply refuses to work!

I have tried:
    -The native bcm43xx driver, even though it has been stated to not work.
    --Result: The card turns on, but when I try to connect to anything, the progress bar gets to 57% (something about IP configuration) and hangs.

-ndiswrapper, several versions, using the bcmwl5 driver.
    --Result: same as the bcm43xx; the card turns on, is listed as "Enabled," I can detect networks, input information, the whole 9 yards, but connection hangs at 57%. I have used several different versions of this driver: the one that I got from Gateway (and the one I use for wireless in Windows), one from the Ubuntuforums HOW TO, and one from another article. None have solved my problem! When I use "ndiswrapper -l" it outputs "bcmwl5" and no errors (which it has done on occasion, but I finally did it right).
    ---Interestingly, when I use ndiswrapper, the indicator light on my keyboard doesn't light up, even though the card is obviously on (since I'm detecting networks). When I use bcm43xx, the light DOES turn on.

Notes:

-The card is recognized as "eth1" and wired web is "eth0"

-Connection hangs when I try connecting to both my own wireless (WEP encryption) and my neighbor's (unsecured Linksys, which I'm helping him to secure this weekend :P)

-After doing nothing for about 2 minutes, I usually get bumped back to the configuration menu, where it asks me to input my WEP key again. I know that it's the right key, since I've been sitting right next to my router which has the key printed on it.

-Configuration is set to dhcp; everything should be automatic, right?

-Gateway IP is set to all zeroes. If that's the problem, I'm going to explode, seriously.

-Wireless works great in Windows XP (I dual boot)

-Wired internet connects just peachy

-Before you tell me to search again for answers, I have tried the method described here. No joy. I have tried multiple versions of ndiswrapper, up through version 1.9.

-I have combed the internet for answers to my problem, and they all seem to indicate that I should use ndiswrapper, but it doesn't work! Am I just using the wrong drivers?

-I still have KNetworkManager installed, but I don't really mind inputting my information every time.

I'm confounded by the fact that the card turns on but hangs at 57%. Should I manually configure it? Maybe it has something to do with the Gateway IP address? (Gateway as in the setting in the network manager, not the laptop manufacturer!) The fact that the card is enabled says to me that the drivers are working SOME fashion or another.

I am not currently at home, so I can't provide any outputs or try anything for about 7 hours, but anything here I'd be more than happy to try when I do get home! I really need wireless, because there's no phone jack in my bedroom, and having to boot Windows just to check my email seems... dumb.

Re: Broadcom BCM4318 Will Not Work!

Originally posted by cryosilver
    -Connection hangs when I try connecting to both my own wireless (WEP encryption) and my neighbor's (unsecured Linksys, which I'm helping him to secure this weekend :P)
    while doing that you might want to consider WPA-PSK rather then WEP.
    WEP is obsolete and far too easy to break.

as for the rest...
    a) ditch SystemSettings->NetworkSettings: rubbish!
    b) if you can see your card with:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1
    then there's hope
    c) i use WPA-PSK and, by reading this forum, i kinda gathered that WEP can be problematic
    d) some have been able to get knetworkmanager do its job by removing all interfaces from
    the /etc/network/interfaces file, except "lo". in principles, though, that file should read as follows:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    e) the iw commands (iwlist, iwconfig, ...) can help in debugging: if you manage to get a connection manually, then you know it's a "gui only" issue

-Configuration is set to dhcp; everything should be automatic, right?
    it should

-Gateway IP is set to all zeroes. If that's the problem, I'm going to explode, seriously.
    if it's written in the interfaces file mentioned earlier, it can indeed be a problem.

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Broadcom BCM4318 Will Not Work!

I have a dell inspiron 2200 with the same wireless card and I got it to work using this info:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff

Follow it from start to finish. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
      X