This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling IP but not Pinging

I'm newer to Linux and not sure what to do. After installing 7.04 on my laptop (I did learn how to disable the wireless so it would stop hogging the processor) I went to system settings and then network settings. I did the auto so it would detect my internet connection. I had to set the default gateway (192.168.1.1) then applied it. Successfully pulled the IP address... But I still can't pull anything from the internet using a browser or ping any www address. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Joel

Re: Pulling IP but not Pinging

Can you ping IP addresses rather than text addresses?
    (try pinging 64.34.177.146, which is these forums.)

If that works, then your problem is with your DNS server settings in /etc/resolv.conf. In that file you should have the IP addresses that your ISP gives you (and maybe your router can tell you what these are...).

Comment

Thanks James,

Checked that... not pulling any ip addresses either. Not able to go into the router (192.168.1.1) through a browser.

Comment

Can you post the output of
        Code:
        ifconfig
        as well as the contents of /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf?

I think I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it here because I'm tired and irritable: networking in Feisty is a real mess. KNetworkManager, KWifiManager, System Settings/KControl network module, ifconfig/iwconfig... all doing things with differing degrees of success and all interfering with one another...

Comment

Working...
        X