This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple wireless adapters detected

I have a brand new 7.04 install. The box is a 2yr old ASUS mother board with and AMD 64 3200. I'm running the AMD64 build.

There is also Cisco aironet 340 in the box and therein lies the problem. Looking at the installed network adapters, three show up: eth0, eth1 and wifi0. eth1 says it is a wireless adapter. I don't understand why there are two wireless adapters for a single card. Of course I'm also having networking issues and trying to fix it, I'm not sure which interface to focus on.

Can you help me either remove one or better understand why I'm seeing this?

Thanks

\\uSlacker
    'a turtle on the information highway since 1989'

Re: multiple wireless adapters detected

It has something to do with the way the (I am guessing atheros) driver behaves; it creates a wifi0 device from which the eth1 device is created, or something. It's correct behaviour and certainly nothing to be concerned about; eth1 is the "right" interface to work with for networking.

Comment

Re: multiple wireless adapters detected

(JamesM, you seem to be answering all my posts - thanks.)

OK - this is a good start. The knetworkmanager stopped running and since I left the PC I now learned how to restart it or work around it. I'll take a look at this (actually on my son's PC - a phone call away) and focus on the eth0 device.

Appreciate the assist

\\uSlacker
      'a turtle on the information highway since 1989'

Comment

Working...
      X