This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror Browser Can Browse Only as ROOT

I know I am connected as I can browse the web as root. How can I browse as an ordinary user?

Re: Konqueror Browser Can Browse Only as ROOT

And what happens when you browse as "joe" user?

\\uSlacker
    'a turtle on the information highway since 1989'

Comment

Originally posted by uslacker
      And what happens when you browse as "joe" user?

\\uSlacker
      ok I am using opera which I have extracted into my home folder...obviously I am connected to the net now as I type my reply.
      This is what I get when I use konqueror:
      "Could not connect to host http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...p?board=75.0."

If I start konqueror from the run dialog with "run as different user--root. I can connect to the web no problem.
      I also changed the permissions of konqueror-user is now bongski and group=bongski..same ownership as opera.
      Still same problem....

Comment

Interesting. I have the same problem, I can use the internet with Opera but not konqueror.

I have just tried running konq as root and it connects fine.

Comment

this is one of the problems of enabling the root account. The system was not designed for a root user so these things pop up. It possibly has created a permission or ownership problem in your ~/.kde directory where all the kde related configs data and settings are. Opera and firefox use different directories and aren't affected.

You could try to reset ownership of the files to your user like this:
          Code:
           sudo chown -Rv <insert-username>.<insert-groupname> /home/<insert-username>/.kde
          This might fix it. Remember that Konq is a file manager and web browser, so if you ran it as root to edit some files or folders, it is also effecting the browsing bit. The command given changes ownership to, for example user=bongski and group=bongski. it will also show what files needed changing if you browse the terminal's output. You also may want to check the ownership of various hidden files in your home folder as well.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
            this is one of the problems of enabling the root account.
            Until trying to run konq as root as above I have never enabled root or run programs as root other than using the normal ubuntu sudo/kdesu necessary for system admin.

Comment

another thing that might cause this is running Konqueror with sudo instead of kdesu, though this is not clearly mentioned enough in the documentation as far as I know. I am sure there may be other things that can cause this as well,but it seems like a file permissions problem to me, though.

Comment

I recently started having this problem.

To shine a little (but not too much) more light on the problem, I am only having KDE network problems with one user (my primary user). My wife uses the same machine but logged into tty9 (I'm on tty7), and all of her KDE network clients work fine.

KDE apps I have tested with network failures:
                - Konqueror
                - KMail/Kontact
                - Kget
                - Akregator (within Kontact)

KDE apps that work fine:
                - Kopete

All non-KDE network applications seem to work fine.

Logged in as another user, everything connects fine.

I've done tried chown'ing the flies in my .kde, but that didn't fix the problem.

As others have described, no other applications are affected. Only KDE apps.

Comment

Originally posted by imhavoc
                  I am only having KDE network problems with one user (my primary user).
                  Merely a wild guess - but what groups does this user (account) belong to?
                  For comparison only, following the "membership details" of my main user:

Code:
                  USER # id
                  groups=4(adm),24(cdrom),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),
                  109(lpadmin),111(scanner),113(admin),1000(birdy)

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                    Merely a wild guess - but what groups does this user (account) belong to?
                    Ah, good idea....

However, User1 and User2 belong to the same groups, with the soul exception of the "user group.":

Code:
                    User1 : User1 adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev lpadmin scanner admin
                    User2 : User2 adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev lpadmin scanner admin
                    Another blind alley.

Comment

[SOLUTION] Konqueror Browser Can Browse Only as ROOT

I finally went digging through http://ubuntuforums.org/

here's the thread with the solution: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...work+konqueror

This problem was affecting all KDE apps. After searching the KDE forums, I finally found a 3-year-old post that solved the problem. The caches in the individual apps must be disabled:

Konqueror
                      Settings > Configure Konqueror > Cache
                      Uncheck "Use cache"

Akgregator
                      Settings > Configure Akgregator > General
                      Uncheck "Use the browser cache"

And so on.

Thanks kuja and PointSource for your input, it's always appreciated.
                      Seems to be working for me.

So, what's causing the cache collision problem, and is the KDE team aware of it?

Comment

Actually, Kmail will still not receive mail. I can send from Kmail, though.

Everything else seems to be working fine.

There is no "cache" setting in Kmail that can be cleared.

Thoughts? I'm stumped.

Comment

solved it:

Code:
                          killall networkstatustestservice
                          I had already turned off the KDE Network Manager, so I don't know if I'll have to kill that in the future.

That was frustrating!

Solution found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=367541

Comment

Killing knetworkmanager solved it for me as well. As knetwork manager doesn't work with my wireless adapter (ralink usb) I can't use it anyway but just hadn't got round to stopping it starting automatically.

I may log a bug on this but I don't know how easy it will be to really identify what factors are causing the problem.

Thanks for posting that solution imhavoc, I had given up on trying to fix it myself and just saw new activity on this thread by chance.

Comment

Working...
                            X