This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing with a windows network

How do I share a folder on this Kubuntu machine so that windows machines can have full access without haveing to use a username and password?

Re: Sharing with a windows network

Do you have samba and smbclient installed?

Comment

Go to the "System Settings" and click on "Sharing" at the bottom.

When you do that, it should either just pop up with some options for sharing files, or it will tell you that the SMB server is not installed.

If the SMB server is not installed, then you have to install it using Adept. I think it's the "samba" package, although that package might actually install more than just the samba server.

Comment

I'm having this problem also. In ubuntu, my Windows xp box could see and browse my laptop running ubuntu 7.04. I switched to kubuntu 7.04 and the windows box doesn't even show this computer on the network.

However, I can easily browse the xp box from here (kubuntu laptop) and manipulate files any way I want. But not the other way around. I have shared my home folder. I have a user account on the kubuntu laptop that I log in to from my xp machine, or I WOULD if it would let me.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ed67
          I'm having this problem also.
          Then, please, search these forums for answers - as the Samba bug(s) in Kubuntu 07.04 already have been discussed at full length more than once ...

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried to follow a bug fix link in another thread but couldn't make heads or tails of it.

How do I make use of a bug fix? All it ever looks like to me is another discussion thread. Being quite new to Linux, I sort of need someone to say "click this, then type this" although I'm getting a little better.

I suppose there will be an update soon that will fix this issue since they know about it.

Comment

Hopefully this tutorial will help:

HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

Comment

Working...
              X