This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get this smb share to mount

When browsed from Remote places, Samba Shares, Home network, Su (computer name) A Share on a win XP machine comes up in the address bar as
    smb://su@su/OGGMusic

I am asked for the user name and passsword. Entering the Win XP username and Password allows me in.

I have added that username (su) and the same passsword on the Kubuntu machine using

sudo useradd -s /bin/true mark
    sudo smbpasswd -L -a mark
    sudo smbpasswd -L -e mark

but I still need to type in the username and password every time.

Have tried as mentioned in
    http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesys...rmanently.html

but still no joy

on another Win XP machine, That has the same username and password as the Kubuntu machine, I just access the shared folders directly and it come up just as smb://npsony/My Documents not smb://username@computername/foldername

I can get it to mount using:

neil@Feisty:~$ sudo mount -t smbfs //su/OGGMusic /home/neil/Music -o username=su,password=Puma3754, but need to do this everytime.

it was working fine as per this post
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082676.0

until a reinstall of windows on the machine 'Su'

So I want to get the auto mount in fstab working again, and get it setup so I dont need to enter the username and password everytime whrn using the Remote places/samba shares browser

Re: How do I get this smb share to mount

So you set up your smbcredentials file with the username and password and referenced it in your fstab entry?

Comment

Yes, but it did not seem to want to work.

I know I am really being too vague here, so cant really expect a good answer, as I cant really give a good question. I seem to have done so much, read so much, tried so many settings, different smb.conf entries, fstab entries
      Tried various combinations of syntax, but never seemed to work. I cant show the entries I have tried there have been so many.

I dont know enough but am trying to learn. I dont know what is relevant, and what is just clouding the issue. There are so many differing fstab, smb files, tutorials around and they all seem to say different things. I dont want to just learn a shortcut to getting it working, I want to know what I am doing.

Sorry I am waffling....

OK a few definite questions.

Should I or should I not have WINS setup. At the moment, WINS is setup with the Kubuntu box as the WINS server, so I can ping via computer name all machines from each other. Is that relevant to getting a share to mount?

What is the local host 127.0.0.1 all about, it seems the local feisty machine has two IP addresses, one from the router and this local loopback address.

Should I use or do I need neither, either, or both of xSMBrowser and Smb4k.?
      I can see all machines with Smb4k and the shares, but as soon as you try to open a share you get an error message:
      The Share su//sharedDocs could not be mounted: smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (1000,1000) smbmnt failed:1
      Two machines ( Kubuntu box and one Xp machine show in black
      I believe Smb4kcan be used to auto mount shares on startup, but is it necessary or is it better done with the fstab file.

xSMBrowser shows two network icons..One labeled Samba config and the other Samba config (Wins Service). no shares show available on any machines using this.

I am going to stop now, hope someone can help the newbie out of this mess

Comment

WINS is relevant if you are trying to mount via the WINS name. Otherwise, probably not. I got tired of the WINS crapola and just set up a hosts file. YMMV

Yes, 127.0.0.1 is your loopback address.

The browsers are OK, but I would mount via fstab.

I suggest that you use the instructions here and stick to them. They work for me.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Samba_Server

I have all of mine set up as group, read-write, no auth. Good luck.

Comment

Slightly more clear headed this morning...ordered linux books off amazon.

Thanks for sifting thru my ramblings!

But what is the loopback address? what is it for

I see in that guide mention of sudo and gksudo, When I try and use gksudo it says in needs to be installed. Tried using apt-get, synaptic and Adept, but it does not appear....is this an obsolete package or what ?

Thanks
          Neil

Comment

Loopback http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loopbac...work_Interface

gksudo is a gnome thing, so it is used in Ubuntu. The KDE (Kubuntu) equivalent is kdesu.

I suggest that your approach to problem solving be:

Search this forum
            Search ubuntuforums
            Google - You will find ubuntuguide and the community wiki both have a lot of good info.

Comment

cheers
              That will expalin why it did not work then.

Thanks for the loopback link, buta s regards searching the forum or googling......been there done that, and seem to have got lost in the amount of info....seem to have tried countless tutorials etc, but noen quite seem to help

Comment

To be able to access windows shares without user and password, you should enable the Guest account on your windows machine.

Of course you can configure some linux apps to access to shares using a user and password stored in local, but this quite different.

BTW, a nice utility to manage shares under KDE is smb4k.

Javier.

Comment

Seem to remember trying that,and it not making any difference. I seem to thing that the guest account is for users wanting to logon to the xp machine locally.

I had tried smb4k, but had problems with that.

It was identifying the kubuntu machine with an old IP address. It was showing it as 192.168.1.15, although ifconfig gave 192.168.1.12. The router was set to BIND IP-MAC address and the Kubuntu machine set with IP address 192.168.1.12

The kubuntu machine a few weeks back did have the IP address 192.168.1.15 when the router was setup using DHCP, but now it is static IP addresses.

I tried uninstalling smb4k, using complete removal, re boot and re install. Sbm4k still insisted that the Kubuntu machine has the IP address of 192.168.1.15 IP. I posted this problem, but did not get an answer on how to get Smb4k to obtain the latest current IP address.

Also under the list of computers on the left hand side of smb4k, two are shown in black type, and the lower one in blue type face. Cant find reference to that at all. The two machines in black type have the same username and password, the other has a different username and password. I wondered if this was something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil P
                    Seem to remember trying that,and it not making any difference. I seem to thing that the guest account is for users wanting to logon to the xp machine locally.
                    No. Or yes. It's also used to enable another windows machines to print or use shared folders in that machine without and user name and password.

It was identifying the kubuntu machine with an old IP address. It was showing it as 192.168.1.15, although ifconfig gave 192.168.1.12. The router was set to BIND IP-MAC address and the Kubuntu machine set with IP address 192.168.1.12
                    Strange. I has never seen this behaviour. Maybe there were something wrong in the smb.conf file?.

Also under the list of computers on the left hand side of smb4k, two are shown in black type, and the lower one in blue type face. Cant find reference to that at all. The two machines in black type have the same username and password, the other has a different username and password. I wondered if this was something to do with it.
                    No. The machine in blue is the Local Master Browser. The machine in charge of the network.

Javier.

Comment

[quote=javierrivera ]
                      Originally posted by Neil P
                      No. Or yes. It's also used to enable another windows machines to print or use shared folders in that machine without and user name and password.

Even with Guest user On, I still need to enter user authentication name and password . The XP machine is XP Pro, with Simple File Sharing disabled.

Strange. I has never seen this behaviour. Maybe there were something wrong in the smb.conf file?.

Will have to check that when I am back on that machine. but it was pretty much copied exactly from the thread Peer to Peer on ubuntu forums:
                      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

No. The machine in blue is the Local Master Browser. The machine in charge of the network.

How is it decided that that machine is the Local Master Browser?i have them all pointing to the Kubuntu machine for the hosts list for name resolution for samba. And the machine in blue is not that machine it is a WIN XP Pro desktop machine

Comment

How did you tried to connect to it? I mean which program did you use?. Can you try to five it Guest as the user name and no password?.

BTW, Local Master Browser is selected with an election. It's a funny part of the nmb protocol. It's possible to make a Linux machine very likely to win the election giving it a high os level on smb.conf, but it's usually better to let a windows machine do the job (at least for small networks).

I don't know what do you are trying to say when you talk about pointing them to the Kubuntu machine for the host list.

Javier.

Comment

Trying to connect using Remote places/ Samba shares/ The machine shows up under the Home workgroup, but needs the username and password, to show the shared folders, evenn the shared folders on the XP machine.

By pointing them to the Kubuntu machine, I mean that on the WINXP machines, on the network properties/TCP/IP advanced properties page, I have added a WINS address which is the Kubuntu machine. That Kubuntu machine has a hosts file with local computer name = IP address. As per http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...diagnosis.html

Comment

I have been making some tries, using konqueror to connect to two different machines using Win XP Pro, with the guest user enabled, and I have not been asked for a user.

It's hard to be sure, but it looks like some kind of problem with the windows configuration, as it's the windows machine the one who is asking for a user. Unless you had hit some strange bug.

You can check it trying to connect to the share from a windows machine with a different user name and password, as windows will try to send the actual user name and password if anonymous access is not granted before asking for it.

In the other hand, you are using WINS. It's kinda overkill for a three machine network. Anyway, using WINS doesn't mean the LMB is not going to be elected and used in case of a wins failure.

Javier.

Comment

This is strange.
                              I cant connect to this problem machine from the other windows machine today. None of the shares are visible and all of the networked folder fail to connect as well. 2 days ago, there was no problem.

On boot of the kubuntu machine the shared folder on the problem machine now mounts automatically, with an entry in the fstab file.

The two XP machines are side by side, the home problem machine,and one my laptop,
                              Have compared all obvious network settings on each machine and they all seem identical. yet I can connect from the problem machine to the laptop no problem. Bloody computers

Comment

Working...
                              X