This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINS /hosts list

Trying to setup the network again on new machine. It took over two weeks on the old machiine but finally got it working.
    So I thought that following the same procedure and help files/forum threads etc would help me get this set up again

A thread (Per to Peer on Ubuntu fourms) mentioned using setting up WINS on the linux box.

But I cant find where to put the host name/ ip address info on the Kubuntu box, cant seem to fine the link about that again.

Can anyone help? Why is networking so F***ing difficult with linux/samba, it is sooo easy in windows, I dont wont to give up on linux, i really want to learn to use it....but .....aaaargh really want to put an axe thru the box at the moment.

Sorry I am rambling/ranting, but need to get it off my chest.

I should not even post this, until I have put more detail on it, but really need to get away fromthe machine and calm down otherwise it is going to get the sort of re boot it is not built to expect

Re: WINS /hosts list

Originally posted by Neil P
    A thread (Per to Peer on Ubuntu fourms) mentioned using setting up WINS on the linux box.
    Er, what for

But I cant find where to put the host name/ ip address info on the Kubuntu box
    How about /etc/hosts ...?

Comment

Cheers.
      I remember one Samba config /networking setup pages mentioning that samba conf haS WWINS = yes, and the wins server is the linux box for the network. also to set the wins config page on the windosw boxes to use get wins info from the linux box, and to give the linux box a static ip address on the router.

I can ping all boxes from each other using ip address, but name resolutionis not happening, so cant ping using computer name.
      OK, this is not the root of the problem , but it is one prob out of the way

Neil

and yes, I have now calmed down a bit...sat a bbq, roasting a pig, drinking beer

Comment

I have had some intermittent success with WINS. I have about decided it is not worth it. I think that I am going to static IPs and hosts files. You may want to think about it. I think this will allow me to tighten down my network and will make navigation easier.

Comment

Why is networking so F***ing difficult with linux/samba, it is sooo easy in windows, I dont wont to give up on linux, i really want to learn to use it....but .....aaaargh really want to put an axe thru the box at the moment.
          There could well be a good reason why networking using Microsoft protocols is a little difficult on Linux... the clue there is in the question. The flip side of the coin: Can I for the life of me figure out how to get ICS working with an XP host? And yet with a Linux host it's so easy...

Comment

Comment

Unicorn rider....here is the link I was refering to with regard to setting up samba to work properly, and the need fo ra hosts file

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...diagnosis.html

It was a link someone on here gave me a while back in order to help setup Samba

EDIT I think it was a link from you

Comment

Working...
              X