X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless puzzler...

Here is the problem…

I inherited a used old laptop. I purchased a dling 650 pcimcia wireless networking card. Mepis 3.2 and above, Puppy linux, knoppix could see and use it over my home wireless network. I traded in the old laptop for a brand new Turion gateway computer.I decided that rather than fight to get the onboard Broadcom wireless NIC working I’d use the Dlink since it worked. Again the above distros perfomed ok wireless wise but were lacking in other features.

The day before travelling to the LinuxFest NW in Bellingham WA, I downloaded the latest and greatest Kubuntu. It booted up well, it could see my wireless NIC as ATH0 (just like the other distros) and when I entered the Essid, key etc… Kubuntu could not connect. When I expanded the networking icon in the bottom panel the network was there. I gave up and traveled to the LinuxFest. As part of the swag, I got several distros. I tried SUSE 10.2. It couldn’t even see the wireless card. I got several flavours of Ubuntu and even a 64 bit Kubuntu. So during the first seminar I quietly tried the live 64 bit disk and lo and behold it saw my card again as ATH0, the networking icon detected the Bellingham Technical College network, I connected, and I was out. It worked perfectly. I was ecstatic.

When I got home I kissed the wife and kids and immediately tried the live disk and lo and behold I got the same problem. I could see the network but could not connect. There are 2 differences. 1. The network at Bellingham was open, no essid or encryption. And the little graphic showed that the signal strength was about 60-70% 2. At home the network is protected by an Essid, encryption etc AND the signal strength is less than 50%. I don’t know if this matters as other distros DO connect.

Does any one have any thoughts on this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    NICSMR

Re: Wireless puzzler... Same problem

I have the same problem, my wireless usb can see my router but it will not connect (connection failed) I have an Airlink101 awll5025 usb device. Using the same set up as my laptop

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??

Comment

Solution Found Re: Wireless puzzler...

Solution found…

I was reading through some of th past post and tried this…

I killed the networking icon in the task bar the opened a terminal window.

Sudo iwconfig showed that indeed the Dlink wireless card was found. Then

Sudo iwconfig ath0 essid nameofrouter key numericalencrytionkey channel 6

It did not work immediately BUT about 10-15 minutes later just before giving up for the night I tried the web browser and there came CNN.COM.

Which leads me to the next question… How do I view CNN.COM videos? The player popup emerges and the controls are there, but no video and no sound eventhough the progress bar is moving.

Any ideas on this one?

I’ll probably post a new thread on this latest question.

Thanks
      NICSMR

Comment

Re: Wireless puzzler...

Hey,
        I'd say install automatix2 (www.getautomatix.com) and install the media plugin's.
        There is also a very nice light weight version of firefox called swiftfox that plays everything fine here.

Comment

Working...
        X