This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One-way Samba

I have to say, this Feisty Fawn is great. Without doing anything but "hooking up to" the local network, I get Windows-Kubuntu integration. The network printer - no problem at all.

That is, the SMB network is going one way. For some reason I am not authorised to share my own folders on the Feisty Fawn PC.

Now, I'm a great fan of doing things by graphical interface; but my usual password does not get me into the sharing part of System Settings->Network->Sharing; it's greyed out like in Edgy Eft when Samba was not installed.

Probably just something stupid I oversee?

Re: One-way Samba

At least you have One-way SAMBA. I have NO-WAY SAMBA. For you, I'm sure the suggestions in this bug report will clear things up. Just comment out any lines in your smb.conf file that have "msdfs proxy"...Then resstart your samba server. The gui samba config tools add the "msdfs proxy" and they shouldn't be there. As for my samba problems, no one has answers and I'm just plain SOL.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mba/+bug/95460

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn
      At least you have One-way SAMBA. I have NO-WAY SAMBA. For you, I'm sure the suggestions in this bug report will clear things up. Just comment out any lines in your smb.conf file that have "msdfs proxy"...Then resstart your samba server. The gui samba config tools add the "msdfs proxy" and they shouldn't be there. As for my samba problems, no one has answers and I'm just plain SOL.

It's just - there's no such line in my smb.conf.

Actually, I'm not quite sure there's a real smb.conf file at all.

And when I opened in kdesu Kate, I was told loud and clearly when lcosing down, that I had no overwriting rights to that file.

Comment

smb.conf should be in you /etc/samba directory. make a backup copy of the file before you make changes to it. To make changes to the file, you need administrative privileges. Example: to edit the file, try 'kdesu kate /etc/samba/smb.conf'. Check this site out if you need a beginners crash course in Kubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu...e/C/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
          my usual password does not get me into the sharing part of System Settings->Network->Sharing; it's greyed out
          That is evidence #1, and this is evidence #2:

I was told loud and clearly when lcosing down, that I had no overwriting rights
          You have a problem -- your administrator (aka Super User) password is not being recognized by your Kubuntu system. Was there a problem during installation? -- you kinda HAVE to enter an administrator password during (K)Ubuntu's installation process, so you should not end up like this unless there was some attempt to change the Super User's password along the way.

I would advise searching here and on Ubuntu Forums for "lost root password", "lost admin password", "admin password won't work", etc. -- you may or may not ever get to be the Super User again, short of re-installing the OS.

Comment

Or try rebooting if your root password is not working in the GUI config. I noticed my root pw didn't work a few time in the System Settings GUI and rebooting cleared it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Originally posted by nilsA
              my usual password does not get me into the sharing part of System Settings->Network->Sharing; it's greyed out
              That is evidence #1, and this is evidence #2:

I was told loud and clearly when lcosing down, that I had no overwriting rights
              You have a problem -- your administrator (aka Super User) password is not being recognized by your Kubuntu system. Was there a problem during installation? -- you kinda HAVE to enter an administrator password during (K)Ubuntu's installation process, so you should not end up like this unless there was some attempt to change the Super User's password along the way.

I would advise searching here and on Ubuntu Forums for "lost root password", "lost admin password", "admin password won't work", etc. -- you may or may not ever get to be the Super User again, short of re-installing the OS.
              It's even more weird; some places the super user works, in other not.

But this may be due to hardware problems.

I have Kubuntu on two SCSI disks - and one of them had the connector loosened when I put the side panel back on.

One has /root and swap; the other /home.

The last time I checked, I had lost all content in /home/myself

If I really did loose my /home - will it just reappear after reboot? Or do I have to mount it?

Comment

Adding to the confusion - is it so that the graphical way is over-ruling the traditional way? In Edgy Eft I had to rename the backup of smb.conf to make the changes work.

It does make sense to me, but if the "traditionalists" are giving command line advice and the real thing is graphical ... maybe we are in trouble?

I _do_ prefer GUI!!!!!

GUI user friendliness is, IMHO, the key to the M$ success.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn

After a little SCSI-trouble; I'm back.

First - I had to reinstall samba (apt-get samba install; if I remember right).

Then came a whole load of upgrades.

... and a more normal looking smb.conf; with the "msdfs proxy".

What was missing, though, in the smb.config, was any workgroup.

So, I entered workgroup = myworkgroup (where "myworkgroup" is the name I use for my windows workgroup).

I also went trough the System Settings -> Sharing to check they are ok. In there I set the name of the computer to Kdugnad.

Then I right-clicked on the file(s) I wanted to share; ensuring that the sharing with MS Windows network is checked.

And then - when I open remote places in Windows - there it is, within my "myworkgroup"

Buuuuuut: I cannot log on; the only password I have typed in, isn't accepted.

So; two-way samba, but "she" just won't let me in ...

Comment

I fixed my M$-Samba issue in this thread. Hope it helps, maybe they will put it in tips/trix.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082504.0
                    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Well, I am now at the point where there seems just one thing left - the samba password.

I've tried in System Settings -> share - and no change.

I've tried
                      Code:
                      sudo smbpasswd -a 'whoami'
                      ... I get in, give the password to change the password, and tries putting in a new one - but this is what happens:

Code:
                      nils@Kdugnad:/$ sudo smbpasswd -a 'whoami'
                      New SMB password:
                      Retype new SMB password:
                      Failed to modify password entry for user whoami

Comment

Is whoami a user? The smb user must be a linux user first. And are you putting 'whoami' or just whoami?

Should be
                        Code:
                        sudo smbpasswd -a whoami

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                          Is whoami a user? The smb user must be a linux user first. And are you putting 'whoami' or just whoami?

Should be
                          Code:
                          sudo smbpasswd -a whoami
                          OK; I now used my user name, no quotes.

But still - that user/password is not accepted when trying to reach from WIN200->Kubuntu

Comment

To make sure that your directories you want to share are properly setup, I like to use the Samba setup Gui in Kcontrol. (kdesu kcontrol). Also remember that everytime you make a change to samba, you have to restart it for the changes to take effect. (sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart).

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                              To make sure that your directories you want to share are properly setup, I like to use the Samba setup Gui in Kcontrol. (kdesu kcontrol). Also remember that everytime you make a change to samba, you have to restart it for the changes to take effect. (sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart).
                              Looks like a very reasonable guess. I tried Kcontrol - but that did not change things.

Well, the termination problems there is with my present SCSI set-up is on the way from Germany to ... terminate with a new card, new cables, new active terminator.

Until that, I'll be using my old Edgy Eft installation.

So, thank you all for trying to help; perhaps things will be better with a properly working system.

Comment

Working...
                              X