This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing files on Kubuntu to XP users

Hi all . I have been trying to share folders and files on Kubuntu and had no luck with it . I want to be able to share files and folders to Mac and Xp users. Also I want to be able to put password on some folders and be able to have one folder that does not require password. Anyway help is appreciated .

Thanks in advance... 8)

Re: Sharing files on Kubuntu to XP users

I am having the same boggle. I also posted about it. Nobody either does this, or knows how to.
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...TO-Collection/

Comment

So... Your answer to a nOOb. Nay, COMMON question is a link to a 1000 page howto?

This just says there is no easy way to share folders with XP nodes with Kubuntu..

I am a 'nOOb' to this distro, but not to the field. And MANY distros offer ez sharing GUI interfaces.

Now.. Simple terms please. a 'KDE' walk through of setting up folders on Kubuntu to XP machines please.

I've installed this distro, no share. Installed 'another', ez shares. I figured it was me. Reinstalled Kubuntu.. No shares.

Set them up with 'nobody'. Can see the folder in XP, click on it I get a 'permission denied, contact admin' error.

Please help, we are sinking here.
        Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

[quote=TedNigma]
          So... Your answer to a nOOb. Nay, COMMON question is a ]

http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....o#my_challenge

- no offence, just my opinion, in plain text.

Comment

Understand Unicornriders sentiment in that link, but; I do (or should that be "did") have a life outside these four walls until I started 'learning' Kubuntu/linux.

I want to just use it, not learn every aspect and every konsole command going in order to play a bit of music and edit a few photos.

That said, I only installed kubuntu because I DID want to: learn about it, use it and get away from Windoze.

For those of us moving from Win XP file sharing, that just tends to work much easier, getting Kubuntu and Samba to talk sensibly to Xp boxes is a bit of a nightmare. I have pretty much given up on getting mine working. I thought it was, but a few re boots later, it has stopped again.

Comment

Originally posted by npaisnel
              I want to just use it [...]
              I do accept such an approach (even though my rants may sound differently ...)

But then (from my experience, that is ...) you'll have to start from square one every time something brakes, may it be because of an update, an experiment or anything, simply because all the tipps & tricks you may know by then are only useful to specific situations, while improvising (read: resolve "new" problems) would require a decend background of knowledge.

Originally posted by npaisnel
              I have pretty much given up on getting mine working.
              That's no solution, either ... did you take a look at this example? Based on that, we may try to get your Samba server up & running as well (?).

Comment

Cheers, had not seen that one before, but have read and seen a few others, will give this one a go
                thanks again

Comment

UnicornRider's smb.conf file works great on my Feisty system -- it lets Linux see the funny things going on in my VMWare Player version of Win XP.

Thanks, U.R.!

8)

Comment

What kind of stupid answer is that, Unicorn? Replies like yours make me a little angry because they are useless to linux noobies. I myself am no Linux Guru but I'm no noob either...I've successfully installed Dapper and Edgy. I might also add that on those previous Kubuntu versions, the samba client worked out-of-the-box so I could access a M$ network. Also, on Edgy I was able to install the samba server and connect. On Feisty, I can't get the SMB client to connect. Instead of blindly assuming we are ignorant and providing a link to an extensive SAMBA HOW-TO, you might first explain that the SMB client that was once the default on previous Kubuntu distros must now be installed manually...If that's the case. Please provide some useful information. If I wanted to spend days setting up my Linux distro, I'd install Gentoo instead (been there, done that).

Comment

I found this bug report. It shows that there is a problem with the samba client on Feisty. At least THIS information is more useful than Unicorn's.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081879.0
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mba/+bug/95460

Comment

Unfortunately that is the state of feisty and samba. At least for the moment.

You can install samba from the repos using adept, apt-get or sysnaptic, which ever you prefer.

The gui's (smb4k, koomba, kontrol,etc produce broken smd.configs's, so at the moment there is nothing for it. You have to edit /etc/samba/smb.config yourself.

In the links posted by jdunn you can read my trials and tribulations. There is also a solution, at least for my setup.

So searching the forum is not redundant.

I hope this is usefull.
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The error link wasn't much help for me. I can comment out or remove the "msdfs proxy" lines but it makes no difference whatsoever. The other computer doesn't even show up on my shares list...How is this possible?...I can ping it. Samba is installed. Both computers are setup for the same workgroup. I created an smb user with 'smbpasswd'. I restarted the server. I tried changing the smb.conf file without using any gui and nothing. There's no firewall between the two machines. After a fresh install, I completely reinstall Feisty (my last resort). I went through a laundry list of checks. NOTHING! In three past distros of Kubuntu, I've never had so much trouble. WTF!?

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Lifeus-interuptus. heehee. Actually, I bought a new meat smoker and have been playing with it.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd say. I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I followed the link UR gave; sorry btw UR I was just grumpy that day and was not targeting you personally just the problem at hand, and copied the smb.conf there.

I setup the share via right click on folder-share-ect...... Also, I used 'expert mode' to setup 'nobody' as the default user.

THEN after it rewrote the smb.conf I edited it again, and removed.

msdfs proxy = no

JOY JOY HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY YIPPIE!!!!!!!

Thanks a TON for everyones help, thoughts, prayers, and loss of hair.
                            -cheers-

Comment

OH, a meat smoker. Been thinking of building a big one to hot smoke a whole pig for a big summer BBQ, but finding good wood here on the island of Jersey is not easy.

Have you yet tried accessing the shared files from within a program? like Gimp, Open Office, or similar?

I thought I had got it to work as well, till I tried to save from within an app...then the tears and hair pulling started again.

Comment

Working...
                              X