This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting to a wireless router

The OS can see the wireless card(a broadcom card) and it is actvated. Several wireless managers can see the routers, but none of them can conenct to them. I had it working on my home machine, I took it to school and it couldn't connect and now doesn't connect at home either.

KNetworkManager gets up to 28% configuring card and then nothing, no error messages.

Kwifimanager is very hit and miss on seeing routers, but it doesn't matter because it can't connect.

wireless assistant is seemingly worthless because apparently it can only handle wep, not wpa, which i have my home router set to and no I won't change it to wep. Perhaps it will work at school since there is no encryption on the wireless.

So where do I go from here?

edit: I altered the /etc/networks/interface file to exclude any wireless data and it worked in knetworkmanager. Hopefully it will work tomorrow at school.

Small aside, I tried to start kate with superuser privileges from the command line and I got a bunch of network errors that went away after plugging in an ethernet cable. Why would I need an internet connection to run a local program to access local files?

Re: Connecting to a wireless router

Connection still works, at least with this router.

Problem is my connection is sloooooow. Usually I get 150-170 kb/s, now I am getting 13 kb/s tops.

I rebooted into windows and tried to download the same software at the same url and got 150+ kb/s.

I looked around and couldn't find any obvious settings. What should I post or take a look at?

Comment

Re: Connecting to a wireless router

Uninstall knetwork manager

Set up your wireless with system settings/network - hit apply to connect
      I believe that if you install wpasupplicant it may give wireless assistant the functionality you need.

Ian

Comment

Working...
      X