This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Internet on boot after latest upgrade

After latest upgrade of Kubuntu Fiesty internet no longer connects on boot. I found a crude fix by >System Settings>Network Settings>Network Connection>Administrator Mode>Network Interfaces>eth0 Enabled Ethernet Network Device and changing >Protocol>dhcp to >Protocol>bootp and selecting Apply THEN changing >Protocol>bootp BACK to Protocol>dhcp and selecting Apply again and then I have an internet connection. What the... And how can I correct this so Internet [eth0] connects on boot

Re: No Internet on boot after latest upgrade

More info on this problem.

1. I can set-up internet connection with static ip and have connection until I reboot then same thing all over again.

2.Adept Package Manager works after establishing an internet connection EXCEPT for the Version Upgrade currently being offered. When I select >Version Upgrade>Next I get 'Error: Could not download the release announcement. Check that your Internet connection is active.' This even though I had to have an internet connection to run 'Fetch Updates'.

Comment

I removed 'network-manager' and now internet starts up on boot. I still can't do a 'Version Update' though.

Comment

Yes - sorted!

Knetworkmanager seems to conflict with the entries made under system settings.

Removing it enabled wireless to start on boot.

Ian

Comment

I'm having a similar issue with my wireless, kind of. Since I applied the latest set of updated this morning, my Knetwork Manager is not working, it doesn't even list my two wireless cards - I thought a quick reboot might help the problem, but when I came back it still won't list the devices - though after the reboot I'm connected to my wireless network (which is great).
          I'm not concerned about being at home and having a network connection - but when I travel I need to be able to select my network.

Edit: I'm pulling down Wireless Assistant to see if that will work - I will update and let everyone know.

I pulled down Wireless Assistant, and it does allow me to select my either of my wireless networks - which is good.

Comment

I feel quite sure that wireless assistant will work for you.

You could also ensure that kwifimanager (not knetwork manager) is running at startup as that will give you a visible connection indicator.

Ian

Comment

Today's update broke knetwork manager on all my machines also. I can set them up and use either settings or ifconfig, but knetwork managet lost eth0 (wired, and eth1 wireless on all I ran the update on.

It worked fine yesterday, all adapters present and functioning, today nada..

Comment

The following has been my experience with this issue.

I use KNetworkManager, which was setup as the default the first time I installed Feisty (Herd 3). My system is an HP Pavilion D6000T, Intel Core Duo 2, Intel video, Intel wi-fi.

I discovered that this issue would occur right after a kernel update. The new kernel and headers would be installed, and on the next reboot, the new kernel would appear at the top of the grub menu list. The system would boot to the new kernel, and KnetworkManager would fail to detect the wi-fi adapter.

I could shut down, reboot, and on the grub menu, select the previously installed kernel. The system would boot and the wi-fi would fire right up and I'd be connected.

What would generally happen is that sometime in the next 12-24 hours, I'd see a new warning icon on the toolbar from Adept that new updates were available. When I run Adept-updater, one of the new updates would usually be the linux-restricted-modules for the new kernel version.

After the update/install, I could boot to the new kernel and the networking and wi-fi would work fine.

So, perhaps this is the same issue with others...maybe the new kernel is being installed before the necessary modules needed to make your wi-fi work?
                Joe<br />in Florida

Comment

Originally posted by joe.attaboy

After the update/install, I could boot to the new kernel and the networking and wi-fi would work fine.

So, perhaps this is the same issue with others...maybe the new kernel is being installed before the necessary modules needed to make your wi-fi work?
                  Almost. Sometimes not all updates are notified/applied, and if you run adept-updater or sudo apt-get update right after the first update, you'll get the warning icon again.This is because normally you have to wait quite some time for a warning icon, but you can force the check too.
                  Hope this helps.

Comment

After several updates to networkmanager and knetworkmanager over the last few days there is still nom improvement ono this issue..

Mike

Comment

Hi

See this thread

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3080553.0

Removing knetwork manager and configuring the wireless within system settings solved it for me

Ian

Comment

I am sure this could work, the only problem is the new knetworkmanager works on my old laptop that I use for the church, It works very well, since it still works I refuse to update the machine with the latest updates.

This knetwork manager is really slick when it works.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X