Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wifi/Wireless issues - WEP/WPA failing.. Help please! :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi/Wireless issues - WEP/WPA failing.. Help please! :)

Hey guys,

Recently upgraded to Feisty and having some problems. I can connect to any network with no WEP/WPA, and it's fine... but any with security, and it doesn't work. I'm using KNetworkManager. I have noticed, however, that when I do attempt to connect, suddenly the wireless card comes up as 'Disabled' in Control Center>Network Prefs. This doesn't happen with no security.. its leading me to think there's some kind of bug?

I noticed some networking thing in System Services, and I tried to enable it but got errors with wlan0.. but my card is ath0. Something wrong here maybe? I also noticed my hard drive names have changed from hdb to something else since the u/g

Thanks

Matt

Re: Wifi/Wireless issues - WEP/WPA failing.. Help please!

Knetwork Manager is currently broken.

You can turn it off and then configure your WEP wireless manually via iwconfig and it should all work. Or you can install some other tool to configure WEP.

Getting it to do WEP automatically would likely require removing Knetwork Manager. I am sure it will be fixed before release though.

Comment

Try using wireless assistant (package name wlassistant).

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        Try using wireless assistant (package name wlassistant).

Ian
        Is this part of the normal distro disc? If its available in an online repository, its out of reach for those of us who use a wireless connection to connect to the 'net.

Comment

It's in the universe repository.

You should not actually need it to get going. It's most useful for with a laptop where you might have to log on at diverse locations eg hotspots. You shouls not need to disable WEP either.

From within system settings/network settings, select administrator mode. If your card is disabled, select it then choose enable device. Then select configure device and type in your WEP settings. Remember to select activate when computer starts to start on boot. Hit apply and you should connect.

Also you can run kwifimanager tell it to start in the system tray to give you a visible sign of connection.

Hope this helps

Ian

Comment

Working...
          X