Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't see "Recommended Updates" button and other screens in Adept Manager

Originally posted by chronophobic
    I have the same issue as the OP, I followed the advice on this thread (adept manager seems up to date and software-properties-kde is installed and updated to the latest version).
    Do you get any error output if you launch adept_manager (try to open the manage repository dialog as well) from a konsole window?:
    Code:
    kdesu adept_manager
    EDIT: better yet, try to start the dialog directly:
    Code:
    kdesu sofware-properties-kde

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      Originally posted by stephen_biggs
      Any help appreciated.
      Install package 'software-properties-kde' to get the 'new' manage repositories dialog
      Thanks Kubicle, that was what I needed!

(I registered just to post this, too!)

Comment

[edit ontop=onpurpose]
        Code:
        sudo aptitude install sofware-properties-kde
        results in the following message:

Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "sofware-properties-kde"

I did install it by hand (using a .deb package I found for it on the ubuntu site), but does it mean something's messed up in my repositories or related settings?
        [/edit]

Originally posted by kubicle
        Do you get any error output if you launch adept_manager (try to open the manage repository dialog as well) from a konsole window?:
        Code:
        kdesu adept_manager
        EDIT: better yet, try to start the dialog directly:
        Code:
        In both cases I get a Xorg warning (possibly result of some direct rendering issues because of unsupported Ati card) :
        X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
        Major opcode: 144
        Minor opcode: 3
        Resource id: 0x0
        Failed to open device
        (I get that a few times in both cases, including when the root password dialog window comes up)

Code:
        gives me a "not found" type of error, but
        Code:
        sudo /usr/bin/software-properties-kde
        opens up the manage repositories window normally.

Code:
         kdesu adept_manager
        gives me this:
        Code:
        kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()
        libasound2
        libc6
        mpg321
        libasound2
        libc6
        mpg321
        kdecore (KProcess): WARNING: _attachPty() 35

Comment

Originally posted by chronophobic
          Code:
          sudo aptitude install sofware-properties-kde
          results in the following message:

Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "sofware-properties-kde"

Code:
          gives me a "not found" type of error, but
          Sorry for that, my typo, I meant 'kdesu software-properties-kde'

In both cases I get a Xorg warning (possibly result of some direct rendering issues because of unsupported Ati card) :
          X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
          Major opcode: 144
          Minor opcode: 3
          Resource id: 0x0
          Failed to open device
          These errors are unrelated to your problem (they are due to the wacom entries in your xorg.conf), if you want to get rid of these you can search the forum for instructions (but they are not the cause for your problem)

Code:
          sudo /usr/bin/software-properties-kde
          opens up the manage repositories window normally
          So you just get the same 'list' of repositories than with Adept>Manage Repositories?
          And not the newer dialog described in the upgrade instructions?

Comment

Heh, I missed the typo - I was wondering why it was giving me an error there (I'm writing with a broken left hand so I do a lot of copy-pasting).

Anyway, the window and options are identical to what comes up from the 'manage repositories' in Adept manager - there's still no dist upgrade button like in the instruction screenshots and no other dialog window appears.

Comment

Click on Help About KDE. What version is reported? 3.5.6
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                Click on Help About KDE. What version is reported? 3.5.6
                Yep

Edit: in Adept manager, I have everything under the Kubuntu software tab checked (except for 'Source Code') and Important Security, Recommended and Pre-released updates checked. Do I need anything apart from that (by now I've tried all the howto's I can find)?

Comment

Ah well, I re-installed a whole bunch of important programs (including but not limited to adept manager and dependancies) and messed with every config file on the system I know of... One restart later and I see the upgrade button - I have no idea what was wrong or what exactly it needed to work but by now I don't really care.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help.

Case [SOLVED] (mysteriously)

Comment

I'm glad you got it solved

Sorry for the wild goose chase, I misunderstood your problem. I thought you had the same issue as the OP (That you couldn't get to the newer manage repositories dialog, but only the older 'list of repositories'). It seems you got the dialog, just couldn't get the upgrade button to show?

Comment

Yep, so I guess I misunderstood the OP's problem too (perhaps because I don't normally use the GUI package managers and I'm not aware of an old list of repositories and what it used to look like?).

Anyway, post-upgrade impressions:
                      The whole thing took me about 2 hours, not including the time to download the updates. The update process died almost 10 times on me - first it couldn't verify it's own integrity and exited (it went fine the second time around), then it couldn't fetch a bunch of files and exited (I had to hunt them down and uninstall them, took a few tries to get them all), it encountered a few configuration problems and then crashed in the middle of the install (causing a very scary fsck scan after the installed which threw up a red [failed] that scared the crap out of me, but doesn't seem to have caused any real trouble)...
                      All in all, I got it fixed, reinstalled the things I removed (mostly skype and kopete), uninstalled and re-installed acpi and a few related packages (after 15 minutes of trying to solve some circular dependency I just did it the easy way).

Although it didn't go smooth or user-friendly, there were no major hangups and the post-upgrade system looks good (a few minor strange things aside, like I've got no idea why it scrapped my application keyboard shortcuts but kept the global shortcuts).

Now the only problem I have is that one of my multimedia buttons (the 'help' one) that I mapped to open Firefox (and it worked for the previous install) now opens KDE help center and disregards any attempts of re-mapping. Not a big issue per se, but it's a convenient button and I have no use for the help center (plus I'm used to opening my browser with it).

Comment

Working...
                      X