This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

start up into command line

Whe I start up my laptop all of a sudden it goes into the command line, I enter my login and password there. I have to type startx to go into the desktop. I get error's i think in the command line.
    kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/f9df0cc9-4ff8-48c6-b918-81ca30fd2ead) = sda5(8.5)
    kinit: trying to rsume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/f9df0cc9-4ff8-48c6-b918-81ca30fd2ead
    kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot...

when I type in startx it seems to go ok. But in the kmenu I don't get options for sutdown, hybernate, switch user , all I get is log off or lock user.

Any help would be great
    Thanks

Re: start up into command line

I don't have a solution for your problem, but I get an error like that although Kubuntu boots normally into KDM login screen. I don't think the error has anything to do with X not starting automatically.

The KDM process should be running as "/usr/bin/kdm -config /var/run/kdm/kdmrc" in the process list, but some how fails in your setup,

e: hmmm, I thought I was posting in the Gutsy forum.
    AMD Sempron 2800 | 1 GB | Geforce 4 Ti 4200 | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

Re: start up into command line

kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/f9df0cc9-4ff8-48c6-b918-81ca30fd2ead) = sda5(8.5)
      Did you upgrade to gutsy? Or change your partitions around somehow?

This is just a guess but is your /home on sda5? It looks like a confused uuid to me.

It could also be that (providing /home is on sda5 and you upgraded) your .kde is not the same version gutsy is looking for. It won't be unless you were running kde 3.5.8 before.

Give us some specifics and let us know.

Cheers
      F

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
      X