Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in Dayton, Ohio with Kubuntu feisty experience.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in Dayton, Ohio with Kubuntu feisty experience.

I am a noob. I need geek-level help. I overloaded my feisty primary HD; system shut down. I can get a grub> prompt but can't get any commands to work, and I don't know how to get from there to $ prompt. People who have created potential solutions talk about grub> then $; when I attempt their instructions under grub> it says something like wrong command ? I have to reboot to Windows XP each time I fail attempting an instruction, it is hard to remember exact data, however, if I could perhaps talk on the telephone while making my attempts, I might get to $ or even better X.

I am 64 and it is hard for me to remember things for any length of time, consequently working through a long instruction, I usually need answers along the way. When reading from a tutorial, if things don't happen as written in the tutorial, I don't know how to phrase a proper question to get proper help. There are steps easily forgotten before experiencing a failure that needs adjustment in procedure.

It took days for me to figure out how to get to a grub> prompt. Now it is easy to get to that prompt, but none of the entries suggested do anything but fail. Still, I have not ever been able to get to a $ since the shutdown. I believe I could work my way through this if I could get to that prompt. There is a lot of forum help, but for those of us who know little about using a terminal, no one talks about how to go from grub> to $. Can anyone help me get there? Thanks! in advance. Steven

Re: Anyone in Dayton, Ohio with Kubuntu feisty experience.

Check your messages.

Comment

Working...
    X