Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help. Feisty will no longer boot into X and KDE.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. Feisty will no longer boot into X and KDE.

I made the mistake of unnecessarily logging out of KDE. Now the system will not run kdm and start KDE. The system stops at the end of running rc.local where my message says 'startx completed successfully'. The only way to get KDE running is to open a console at F1 and run startx.

Does anyone have an idea of how to get the system back to running kde so I can log in and then start KDE normally?

Larry

Re: Help. Feisty will no longer boot into X and KDE.

You could try to navigate to /etc/X11 and check to see if you have an old xorg.conf to replace the bad one your trying to use or make new one with:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Answer the questions the best you can and you should be good.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Re: Help. Feisty will no longer boot into X and KDE.

Originally posted by eriefisher
      You could try to navigate to /etc/X11 and check to see if you have an old xorg.conf to replace the bad one your trying to use or make new one with:

Code:
      Answer the questions the best you can and you should be good.

eriefisher
      Be advised I've had this problem in previous Kubuntu installs.

Run the following as stated above:

and if you have a Radeon graphics card, do NOT select the ATI driver, but instead select the plain vesa driver to start with when prompted to pick a graphics driver. I find that the ATI drivers for Linux are bug-ridden and precipitate an X-server crash.

If your graphics card isn't a Radeon, then selecting the vesa driver may still help if you're having werid X server hangs. Do you get garbage on screen when the X server tries to start up, which is traceable to the last major block of graphics data that the graphics card tried to process? For example, in my case, if I ran my Windows install, then restarted and booted into Linux with the ATI driver installed, the X server would hang, the keyboard would be TOTALLY dead and locked, no mouse pointer would appear, and the screen would contain a garbled version of my Windows wallpaper from the previous Windows run.

Try using the boring standard vesa driver first, and if that cures the problem, stick with it until a bug-free version of your more advanced driver becomes available.

If you boot into Recovery mode (Dapper) or the equivalent in the later releases, you should simply get a command terminal. You can then run the command above to reconfigure the X server, and having done that, test it by typing:

startx

If the X server starts up properly after changing the driver, then you're home and dry. Took me a LONG time and a LOT of swearing at the machine to arrive at this.

Comment

Working...
      X