X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem starting Kubuntu

Hello guys, I'm spanish so my english maybe it won't be very good

My problem I think is related with my video card but I'm confused because with the old versions of kubuntu it worked perfectly

First of all, my video card is integrated in my motherboard (GIGABYTE M61SME-S2 MATX AM2), it's NVIDIA® GeForce 6100 / nForce 405 GPU

My monitor is an acer one model AL511 15"

When I start live CD I have the message "Out of range" in my monitor even If I choose graphical secure mode so I don't know what to do

I have to say that I can perfectly install PC-Linux or another linux distribution

Thanks in advance

PD: I also have a problem with my wireless card, NetGear WG111 v3, I can't have it working (I haven't test it in kubuntu obviously)

Re: Problem starting Kubuntu

Nobody can help me? I have the same problem with Ubuntu, but only with the ubuntu's family (kubuntu, ubuntu...) no with the rest of the distributions

Comment

Which version are you trying to install?
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

The last one

Comment

By "the last one", do you mean 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" or 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon"?
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Read this thread for a possible fix.

It could be that the graphics driver selected is causing the X server to keel over.

In which case you'll have to boot into Recovery mode (Dapper) or the equivalent mode in the later (K)ubuntu versions, where you'll be faced with a command prompt. Follow the directions in that post of mine in that other thread, reconfigure the X server (the process is guided with menus) and select the vesa driver. That should cure your problems.

Comment

If I am not wrong 7.10 is after 7.04 so by the last one I mean 7.10

Thank you Calilasseia, I'll try it

Comment

I was asking about the version because 7.10 is still in beta mode; the official release will not be available until October 11. As such, there may be some bugs that still need to be worked out.

I agree with Calilasseia that the "vesa" driver will probably fix your problem.
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Wow ... Calilasseia, now THAT is an AVATAR!

[/bowing&scraping]

Comment

integr8e I had the same problem with no-beta version but finally I solved my problem as Calilasseia said but now I have a pair of problems more

First of all, when I am installing the distro and I get to 87% (Installing packages), my cd rom stop reading and it doesn't keep on installing. I have tried to install it twice. What can I do?

Then, by mistake I put grub in my second Hard disk so I would like to remove it but I have not a floppy so I can not access msdos to write "fdisk /mbr", any other way?

Comment

Originally posted by Alvarodt

when I am installing the distro and I get to 87% (Installing packages), my cd rom stop reading and it doesn't keep on installing.
                      Most of these "it stops at xx%" cases turn out to be a bad ISO burn or bad CD media. Try again to burn the ISO, and make sure the burn speed is 4X. If that doesn't work, then you should try a different brand of blank CD media (or find a friend ...).

Comment

dibl, would running "check the cd for defects" work?
                        Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

When I run "check the cd for defects" it says than itdoesn't contain erros

Can I remove grub and lilo from a live cd?

Comment

You might want to have a look at this bug:
                            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/149629

Apparently there is a problem with language pack downloads.

I hope this helps

Edit: I just saw you posted this under feisty. Maybe you should repost it under gutsy
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thank you very much, would you like to explain me what's "Taking the system offline works" ?

Comment

Working...
                              X