X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 AMD Monitor Config. Problem

Hi,

I am running Feisty on a 64 bit AMD and changed the monitor settings, to an apparent unacceptable state (cannot see anything intelligible on the monitor after rebooting). I would like to go back to an earlier configuration however I cannot read the monitor in this unacceptable state. I believe I need to go to an earlier X11 configuration like I could in a Dapper (6.06 32 bit) machine.

I can start the Feisty machine in Recovery Mode and get to a prompt where I can move around but I cannot find the /etc/X11 directory.

Can someone tell me where the equivalent of the /etc/X11 directory is in the 64 bit Feisty?

Also, is all I have to do is rename the present Xorg.conf file to something else then find an earlier Xorg.conf file and rename it to Xorg.conf ?

What command can I use to rename the files?

Thanks

Ray

Re: 64 AMD Monitor Config. Problem

You're on the right track.

Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    is the file you need to edit.

Yes, you simply
    Code:
    sudo cp etc/X11/xorg.conf etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak_today
    , or use your editor to "save as" xorg.conf.bak_today

Comment

Wonderful! Your help got me going. I am up here in the Himalayan mountains in Nepal teaching computer skills to 200 children using 22 Dapper machines and one Feisty machine. This forum and people like you make it possible to keep these machines going.

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Wow, sounds like a great assignment! Glad to be able to make a little contribution.

Comment

Working...
        X