This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installation woes

I've been having multiple problems trying to get 7.04 working. starting with display problems with the live cd, which is fixed but not I'm having installation probs.
    I'm running a dual boot with XP on a presario 1500 laptop. XP was installed first(sda1) then another linux o/s on a second partition(sda2) until i decided to replace it with this one.
    So first i formated the partition(sda2), then auto installed using 100% of sda2. it rebooted and I get grub error 15. Try to fix the grub and I'm missing the grub completely. it did not install the grub.
    then i reinstall doing a manual install and I followed the commands so it created the swapdisk, installed and rebooted. same, grub error 15 and again no grub installed.
    now i'm trying to do a manual install and the distro is becoming more problematic. I'm have problems with Qparted and I can't create a swapdisk with a manual install anymore. don't know what else to read/search to get this o/s running.
    I'm a noob to this whole scene but i'm not bad when it comes to researching and following posts/instructions.
    Any help out there for a buggy system that won't install the grub properly.

Thanks

B

Re: installation woes

Well, the principles are here:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    and here:
    Bigpond, home: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
    (see his GRUB page)

But it sounds like you know the principles. On the installer, the manual partitioning method, using the regular Live CD, Step 6 under the Advanced button (at lower right), that’s where you specify where to put GRUB, which it sounds like should be (hd0). That’s it. It should work. Your GRUB files will be located in your Kubuntu under /boot (in Konqueror), and GRUB will be set up in the MBR to boot both Windows and kubuntu.

You could also use GParted Live CD to delete everything by Windows partition and start over, but it sounds like you tried that, too.

Oh, yes, make sure your Kubuntu CD is good -- the checksum and also the option on the CD to "Check CD for defects." That might be the hang up here.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

yeah dude trust me i'm not a pro on this but i've read every post out there and nothing sounds like my problems, and i do mean problems because i couldn't possibly write half of them down. So that left me with a bad burn or ram. checked both with a scan and installed my live cd on a desktop no prob. I also have no prob putting other o/s's on the laptop so i'm sure about it's performance. As for the MBR i usually don't mess with the default (hd0) but i do know it's there and i have tried a few other locations like (hd0,1/hd1/hd0,0...) and same results. If i have to guess it's like the grub is not installed at all and the installation process doesn't seem to notice that it's not complete.

So another example of a prob i'm having is sometimes, not all the time after i boot up using the live cd because the install didn't work i notice that I created a sda2 and a extension with a swap sda3 & sda4, but when i check after the install it created another separate 2GB partition that is active when i check it in QTparted.

I'm at a loss. I'm trying everything right now. going to try 6.10 and the alternate cd as well as 7.10 beta.

Please let me know if I am doing/missing something completely stupid or if there is another method for me to try.

thanks again

B

Comment

Did you end up installing Grub on a non-MBR partition (often a good idea) but didn't make that partition bootable?

In the partitioner, setting 'bootable' is one of the list of options if you do the manual process.

Miles

Comment

Working...
        X