X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my Kubuntu back - Need Bootloader back on Kubuntu [SOLVED]

Hi,

After reviewing the following, can someone point me in the right direction to get the bootloader back to the hard drive with Kubuntu on it? Please look at the last three posts.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085814.0

Thank you for any assistance you provide.

Re: Got my Kubuntu back - Need Bootloader back on Kubuntu

This is the best how to I've seen yet.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

eriefisher,

Thank you for your post and when I saw the GRUB Methods Toolkit last month, I didn't know which one would apply.

Is it Case 2 under "Installing Kubuntu?"

Or, would it be Case 1 under "Install or Re-install GRUB?"

Install or Re-install GRUB

How to: Install (or re-install) GRUB from your “main” Linux OS to the MBR of the main hard drive. Let's say your “main” Linux OS (the root files containing /boot/grub) is located in (hdx,y). (See Notation below.)

Case 1: You are able to boot into a (any) Linux OS on your PC.
      If so, do so. Then open a terminal (Konsole) get a GRUB prompt as root by typing sudo grub (then press Enter), and type the following (press Enter after each command):
      grub> root (hdx,y) # (hdx,y) is the partition of your "main" Linux OS
      grub> setup (hd0) # This assumes (hd0) is your “main” booting hard drive MBR
      grub> quit
      $ exit

If it is the later is the following correct:

grub> root (hd0, 1)
      grub> setup (hd1)
      $exit

Thank you for your assistance.

Comment

grub> root (hd0, 1)
        This line is for your /(root) partition of your main system(where the menu.lst will be). You say 1st hard drive, second partition. Is this correct?

grub> setup (hd1)
        This line is telling grub to install in the MBR of the second hard drive. Is this what you need?

eriefisher
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I very quickly looked at your previous thread – too many details there.
          Looks like
          Kubuntu is on (hd1,0)
          PCLinux on (hd0,0)

Right?

I’m confused now: Do you want PCLinux (menu.lst) to control the booting or Kubuntu (menu.lst)?
          Is you BIOS set to boot from hd0 as first-in-boot-sequence (following your CD-ROM)?
          And if so, is that what you want?

I guess the question is, What do you want?

The rest (the GRUB stuff) is easy.

If you want Kubuntu menu.lst to control the booting (for all OSes), then you’d want
          root (hd1,0)
          setup (hd0)
          quit
          exit
          ***assuming the PC is set (in BIOS) to boot from hd0***
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you both for your posts.

Looks like
            Kubuntu is on (hd1,0)
            PCLinux on (hd0,0)
            Qqmike, you are correct.

If you want Kubuntu menu.lst to control the booting (for all OSes), then you’d want
            root (hd1,0)
            setup (hd0)
            quit
            exit

Kubuntu is the menu.lst that I want to control the booting. I'll reboot and check to if hd0*** is set to boot after the CD-ROM.

If hd0*** is not set to boot after CD-ROM , should that be changed after issuing issuing the grub command?

Also, should the grub command be issued in PCLinux or Kubuntu?

Thank you

Comment

I would get into Kubuntu, at Konsole, and type sudo grub to get the GRUB prompt and do the GRUB there.
              Then, re-boot, at POST get into BIOS and set that boot order to hd0 (after CD-ROM), Save & Exit BIOS to re-boot. It's probably already set to boot from hd0, isn't it?
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike,

GOT IT, GOT IT, GOT IT!!!

Thank you.

root (hd1,0)
                setup (hd0)
                quit
                exit
                Your post helped me understand the second line above is the MBR of whichever drive is in the first line. Is this correct. If it is, it's no wonder that the GRUB Methods Toolkit was of no help to me last month.

Thank you!

Comment

Re: Got my Kubuntu back - Need Bootloader back on Kubuntu [SOLVED]

Yes, that's correct what you said about the MBR.

Insert this Edit: Sorry, you said:
                  "Your post helped me understand the second line above is the MBR of whichever drive is in the first line. "
                  That's not quite correct.
                  The second line (hd0) is the MBR you want GRUB to be in (and BIOS should also boot from that same hard drive hd0). The first line, in a sense, is the GRUB files you want to use to do all this, and it will also be where the menu.lst that will be used is located. End of Edit.

The BIOS will boot the first drive, and on that drive, BIOS expects to see some executable code called the IPL -- Initial Program Loader (bootloader code). In our case, we had GRUB put its IPL in the MBR (hd0) (called GRUB Stage_1), and we did that using the root - setup - quit lines above.

You got it! Way to go!

Comment

Re: Got my Kubuntu back - Need Bootloader back on Kubuntu [SOLVED]

. . . and BTW, that GRUB Stage_1 code points to Stage_1.5 and then to Stage_2, which we chose to be in your Kubuntu -- that's the root (hd1,0) part.
                    EDIT added: and Stage_2 specifies where you get the boot menu, menu.lst.
                    (all roughly speaking, of course . . . )

Comment

Working...
                    X