X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALTGR not working and c cedilla not possible

I daily have to write French and German,
    which means my freshly installed Kubuntu Feisty is rather useless.

1 When I type '+c it doesn't give the usual ç, yet an ć

2 Moreover, the right ALT key doesn't do anything. Which prevents me to type ß euro sign etc, etc,

3 Finally, the left ALT + keyboard number doesn't do anything either (numpad enabled of course)

KEYBOARD Layout settings now are as follows
    US English international alt

Seems I am stuck with the limited english alphabet.

Please help !!! thanks in advance.

Re: ALTGR not working and c cedilla not possible

I had the same problem with the Euro sign, but I resolved it yesterday, see: €!!! (Right Alt + 5 ).

If you go into System Settings -> Region and Accessibility (in the Personal section) -> Keyboard Layout, you'll see 3 tabs. You'll need the Xkb options.

Activate Xkb options and select a 3rd level chooser, eg. right ALT, as well as a key to bind the Euro sign to, e.g. 5.

It should work then.

I' m running a dutch Kubuntu, so maybe I have the English names not quite right, but you should be able to find this.

I can't help you with the c cedilla, I get the ć as well.

Comment

I don't know about us keyboards but if you go to system settings->regional->keyboard layout you can add regional keyboards like german, french or whatever. Then you can add a language chooser to the panel / quick starter:
      [Alt][F2]kdesu qt-language-selector
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

My problem was the opposite - being able to compose all sort sof accents I didn't need... I think there are several overlapping mechanisms in use to support composing accented characters and it's a bit of a maze.

I wanted to suppress 'deadkeys' method of composition, which seemed to be the one that was in use, but it's not well documented. Perhaps if you want to get c-cedilla, then you can use
        , + c
        not
        ' + c
        as you have tried. I am not at my Kubuntu box now, so can't test it, but I was able to use , and ' to form accents, I think.

Miles

Comment

Working...
        X