This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED HELP MESSED UP BOOT RECORD

Hi all. I just remove vista and installed XP on my hp pavilion dv2310ca laptop. I forgot that my boot record would get messed up. Can someone help me fix this or walk me through. Also would anyone know where I can get drivers for my laptop. HP doesn't have all the drivers for my laptop. Thanks in advance

Re: NEED HELP MESSED UP BOOT RECORD

To get an idea what can be involved, have a look at this:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    (pay attention to “re-installing GRUB”)

As you think it through, you’ll have to get some information about your system.

What was there before? Vista and Kubuntu? Did GRUB or did Vista control the boot menu?

What is there now? XP and Kubuntu? On what partitions? (One hard drive, right?)
    The typical arrangement would be
    XP on the first partition
    Kubuntu on some other partition.
    And then you would want to re-install GRUB (from your Kubuntu partition to the Master Boot Record (hd0) of the hard drive – you’ll see this in the How-To).

Toward the end of the How-To, there’s some commands you can use from a Live Kubuntu CD to figure out what is where on your drives, like
    sudo fdisk –lu
    and
    the geometry command (at a GRUB prompt, grub>)..

So, can you define the problem with some detail?

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: NEED HELP MESSED UP BOOT RECORD

Hi I managed to fix grub. I was so worried of loosing my kubuntu I google it up and found ways of getting grub back up. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X