This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing over Fedora Core 4

I'm trying to install Kubuntu over an existing Linux installation, and the simplest thing for me would to reuse my old root, boot, and swap partitions. However, the install program says that that version won't allow me to reuse my existing root and boot partitions without reformatting them. I don't want to lose my existing data, but backing up then reformatting would be extremely difficult. Where can a find a version of the installer that allows me to reuse my existing partitions without reformatting? (or is there a command line option?)

Re: Installing over Fedora Core 4

I was able to free up enough disk space so that I have about 3 gigabytes free. Having thought about it a little more, I think it would be possible to create a temporary new root partition out of the free space (the docs say only 2 gigabytes are required, so the free space should be enough) and install onto that, then when I have it booting off the hard drive, I copy everything from the new root onto the old root (overwriting any existing files), change my root partition to my old one, then return the space used from the temporary root to the original.

How well would this work? How would I change was the root partition is (is it a boot loader setting)?

Comment

If you replacing the old os why do you need to keep the old root and boot files?

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Because I don't have a separate home partition, it's all part of the root partition. So reformatting the root partition will cause me to lose everything, and backing up what's in my home really isn't an option.

(It seems that I forgot to mention that I wasn't planning on keeping my old boot; having that reformatted without a backup is fine with me.)

Comment

Working...
        X