This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitions-home-files

I'm going to rearrange and create some new partitions to install Mepis along side Kubuntu. I want to set up a partition for personal files to keep them separate from the config files in /home to ease future installs.

What I was looking for is some suggestions on how big /home should be if it is just for the system files. I will create a separate /home for Mepis and share my file partition with both.

thanks

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Re: Partitions-home-files

Interesting notion -- having 2 or 3 OS's on my rig, I see the logic of it.

With no data files, probably there's little reason to make /home a separate partition from your "/" partition -- the configuration stuff can't be more than a few megabytes, out of 6 or 8 GB or whatever your / partition is.

Then maybe make a "/myfiles" partition that you can mount on "/media" in whichever OS you're running at the moment.

Two cents worth, max ....

Comment

That's basically what I was thinking. The /home already exist so I was just going to shrink it down to a few gig rather than try to merge it back into /.

eriefisher

Comment

And to get just a baseline/ballpark idea of the config files in /home, you could simply count them -- get into /home, View > Hidden Files, and add up the KBs to get a feel for what it might look like as you add/change software & etc.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks

I've got Gparted running now. This could take awhile on a 250g and a 200g drive.

eriefisher

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher

This could take awhile on a 250g and a 200g drive.
            Took me 4 hours to do a 5-step partition re-arrangement/resizing on a 150GB WD Raptor drive the other day, and that's with a 3.3GHz CPU as well. Hope you know how to play Solitaire with real cards!

Comment

I'm looking over at the screen and it says 13:45:30. But it's counting down quickly. Still I think I might find something to do in the mean time.

eriefisher

Comment

Well just over 12 hours for Gparted to do it's thing and under 10 minutes to install Mepis 7.0 on the new partitions. Now to get it to see my usb wireless and get the sound working.

eriefisher

Comment

Working...
                X