X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live CD not loading properly

Originally posted by Qqmike

RAID only protects you against one (not both) of the drives failing
    It's not even that good with RAID 0 -- it doesn't protect you against anything. RAID 1, aka "mirroring", will protect you against one of the drives failing.

The bits that I've read about RAID 0, aka "striping" suggest that it's a very marginal performance enhancer for a subset of disk-intensive operations, and basically won't change your daily life at all. You'll get more of a performance boost by buying a faster hard drive.

@gigabz666

If I kill the RAID then that means I'm going to have to reinstall Vista, right?
    Right.

Comment

I'm tempted to just go out and by a new SATA hard drive and replacing the RAID drive with it. If only I could just copy the entire contents over and have Windows run from there...grr annoying. I think this is a weekend job. Thanks for the help anyway guys!

And back on topic, lol. I suppose disabling the RAID and having essentially three hard drives will help with the Live CD?

EDIT: I just thought about this now. I don't suppose that Linux will be able to support the kind of RAID set up I have any time soon? I don't particularly want to use the the twin drives separately. My current Vista installation would be too big (larger than 250GB anyway). So if I put Linux on the twin drives instead, won't I be wasting a tonne of space (/ and swap on one, /home on the other. Root would never use that much space, it would be such a waste).

If it doesn't look like it will happen in the forseeable future, I might as well buy a new SATA drive and take out the twin drives.

Comment

Ok, sorry for the double post, but I thought I should add to this.

I managed to install Kubunty Feisty using the alternate CD. I now have what appears to be two problems

1. Initially when I rebooted, it booted straight into Windows. I originally thought I had done something wrong and so removed everything, but with a recent suggestion in work, it turns out that the GRUB was on the second hard drive with Linux and when it was going through the boot sequence, it was booting from the RAID drives first. So I switched the boot order and got to the GRUB. Problem is, Windows Vista is nowhere to be seen. It looks like if I want to switch, I have to change the boot order which seems annoying. Anyway to fix this?

2. The other problem, is if I try and boot normally from the GRUB, I get a black screen and nothing happens. No loading bar or anything like that, just blank and nothing happens. If I boot into the recover mode, I get to the command line. I can then type kdm and continue on as though I've booted up normally. Anyone know why this is, and how I could maybe fix it?

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by gigabz666
          Ok, sorry for the double post, but I thought I should add to this.

I managed to install Kubunty Feisty using the alternate CD. I now have what appears to be two problems

1. Initially when I rebooted, it booted straight into Windows. I originally thought I had done something wrong and so removed everything, but with a recent suggestion in work, it turns out that the GRUB was on the second hard drive with Linux and when it was going through the boot sequence, it was booting from the RAID drives first. So I switched the boot order and got to the GRUB. Problem is, Windows Vista is nowhere to be seen. It looks like if I want to switch, I have to change the boot order which seems annoying. Anyway to fix this?
          Search the Ubuntu forums on "Vista dual boot" and you'll probably find some info. It's a little more complicated that dual-booting with Win XP, or so I hear.

2. The other problem, is if I try and boot normally from the GRUB, I get a black screen and nothing happens. No loading bar or anything like that, just blank and nothing happens. If I boot into the recover mode, I get to the command line. I can then type kdm and continue on as though I've booted up normally. Anyone know why this is, and how I could maybe fix it?
          This is a video driver problem -- that's why the text screen works fine. Here's how to get started on the fix -- ultimately you'll want an appropriate driver for your graphics chip, but VESA will give you a workable GUI.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Not had time to work on it yet since I posted the two questions late last night and was pretty tired. I'll work on them tonight.

It's weird though, because I thought I had installed the Nvidia drivers alright. I ended up using Envy and I got the Nvidia screen before booting up and Compiz was running fine which I didn't think it would unless the drivers were installed properly, but I still got the blank screen the moment it begins to boot up. The thing is, according to kcontrol, I'm still using vesa drivers. If they were ATI GPU's I'd know what to do since I have the drivers running on my laptop.

I'll do a bit of reading and add more when I try again when I'm back from work.

Comment

Well I have the dual booting issue sorted out. I found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=513219
              on the ubuntu forums and managed to edit GRUB and I can now boot into both Windows and Linux.

The black screen on Linux boot still remains though. A lot of what I read seems to relate to having the logo and progress bar, but then when it should go to login, the screen goes black, and then they can use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to the CLI. My problem is that I'm not even getting the logo and progress bar and the keyboard is totally unresponsive. Will have to do a bit more digging around and let you guys know what I find.

Comment

Working...
              X