This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty boot on Evo N1000v

Couldn't decide whether to post this here or on hardware...but since I've not really gotten this installation to work right...

The graphical installer simply won't hunt - I had to do a text-based install. The screen blanks, then slowly fades to an image like this:
    http://bp1.blogger.com/_GlANLU-2OyI/...ed_display.JPG

I downloaded and installed the text-based install. After the install, I manually updated the xorg.conf file to match the screen and resolution on the laptop. Booting to recovery mode, I could 'startx' and the KDE desktop worked fine. If I tried to boot to a normal session, the screen was trashed, as in the example above.
    This was before I found the installation suggestions on http://aparateys.blogspot.com/2007/0...-fawn-on.html; the Presario 1500US is basically the consumer version of the Evo N1000v.

Following these instructions, I was able to get the system up in 640x480 mode and reconfigure the display using System Settings. I restarted X, and the screen came up in SXGA resolution. Remember, I am still in the recovery console - that is an important point. When I shut down and restarted, the logon screen (kdm) was still in 1400x1050 resolution, but the KDE desktop came up in 640x480.

I have tried "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", and gotten the display to work, until I reboot. Then it is back to the garbled screen. It seems the only way to get a usable GUI is to start in recovery mode, then at the command prompt, type "startx". Running "kdm" invariably results in the garbled screen described above, even if from the recovery console.

I have tried booting to a console prompt (without the graphical login), but not in repair mode and running both "kdm" and "startx" to get to the GUI - in either case, the garbage screen reappears. To regain control of the computer is to get to a text console with CTRL_ALT_f1, log in, then "sudo reboot" to restart. I have tried both the ati proprietary driver and the radeon driver, same result.

I'm about out of ideas here - I have tried eliminating (setting to kill) the items in the init scripts that I can identify as not being necessary, such as the Wacom tablet, nvidia kernel, and Bluetooth modules.
    I don't think I have a hardware problem, because I have XP-SP2 on part of the hard drive that works normally, and have previously installed Linspire and PCLinuxOS successfully. I can also run PuppyLinux from a USB hard drive. None of these distros exhibited any of the issues I am experiencing with Kubuntu.

Again, any guidance is greatly appreciated. I have struggled with this for the past five evenings with nothing but frustration as a reward.

I have a lot of experience in Windoze (since the 1.0/DOS days), and have tried a few of the Linux distros, especially since the live-cds started to appear, but I really don't know a lot about it. My usual 'fix-it' was to re-install everything and start over. That was ok as long as my interest was primarily curiosity, but I am trying to actually get productive with Linux, that approach isn't going to work. If someone can point me in the right direction, point out what I need to look for, and help interpret the results, I'm fairly confident that success isn't far off.

System hardware:
    # Processor: 2.2-GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor.
    # Monitor: 15 inch SXGA+ TFT matrix, 1400x1050
    # Graphic card:ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 (32M video RAM, 4x AGP)
    # Sound card: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio
    # System memory: 768-MB RAM
    # 40GB harddisk from Toshiba, provided by Compaq: MK4018GAP
    # 8x DVD/cd-rw, Toshiba DVD-ROM SDR2102
    # Floppy drive
    # Conexant HSFi V92 MiniPCI modem (Not tested)
    # Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    # 1394 Net Adapter (Not tested)
    # IrDA Infrared Port, National Semiconductor (Not tested)
    # Keyboard: US International keyboard
    # Mouse: Synaptics PS/2 Touchpad (I get a crash dialog when exiting X, works fine otherwise)
    # Pre-installed OS: Windows XP Professional
    # Compaq Multiport: 802.11b WLAN MP W200 (not tested)
Working...
X