This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot into GUI from Live CD

When I load the 7.04 DVD and choose either "Start or Install" or "Start in Safe Graphics Mode", it gives me splash screen with the progress bar, but then dumps me into a shell that says:
    Code:
    BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    (initramfs)<prompt>
    The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1420.

Re: Can't boot into GUI from Live CD

This is so discomforting! I have spent the past three hours chasing this problem through the Internet. Some things have helped get past this tty issue - but only for a few more seconds.

Looking at the dates of other forums messages, this problem has been around since 2003 or so. I guess I will not find a fix anytime soon. >

Kubuntu 7.04 installed on my Desktop PC just fine. My problem is with my laptop. Brand new - out of the box a week ago.

My desktop pc managed to acquired a virus yesterday - first one in 30 years. My first computer was a PC Jr DOS.

I have been playing around with Linux the past 4 months and figure it is time to make the plunge. I really like Kubuntu but sure as hell don't like seeing this problem last like it has!

Suggestions are welcomed!

Rocky
    Started back with a IBM PC Jr -- Vista doesn&#039;t interest me and am moving on to Linux -- well I&#039;m trying!!

Comment

I understand the frustration and, well, venting is good.
      BTW there's not much we can do in the forums, it's a kernel development problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rustalot
        nter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
        (initramfs)<prompt>
        Over the past few days doing some digging in the corners, I have found a work around for the problem --

http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/k...rnate-i386.iso The end run here is the "alternate". It's a text based install.

Worked for me -- was able to install kubuntu but ended up with a new problem.

Still can't boot into Kubuntu yet!

Now setup doesn't like my network card "Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card"

"bcm43xx: error: microcode5.fw" Goggle gave me 67,000 hits on this one -- Only read the first 2 pages

I have not checked out the Dell forum yet -- my next stop!
        Started back with a IBM PC Jr -- Vista doesn&#039;t interest me and am moving on to Linux -- well I&#039;m trying!!

Comment

Working...
        X