This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preserving menu.lst entry for Windows XP

I don't know just what updating actions trigger it, but periodically I find that the entry I placed in /boot/grub/menu.lst for booting Windows XP has been replaced by a default entry, which refers to the wrong partition. Is there any way I can prevent the updater, whichever one it is, from clobbering the entry I put there?

Re: Preserving menu.lst entry for Windows XP

Put your entire Windows boot stanza just BEFORE the line *** Begin Automagic Kernels List.
    That’s the lines:
    title Windows
    root
    makeactive
    chainload3er +1
    # and whatever else might be there

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    The following topics are covered here, by date—see the posts that follow.

Scroll down to the second post: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips)
    April 21, 2007

I think this is getting in the way (in your menu.lst):

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
    ## can be true or false
    # updatedefaultentry=false

(is yours set for true?)
    Anyway, the fix will fix it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I think you get the same result by putting the Windows boot info AFTER the line that looks like this:

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

Comment

It would solve his current problem but might create a new problem.
        If Windows is his default, every time there's a kernel update added between the *** Beginning and the *** End, then his default numbering will be thrown off (n will become n+1). Whereas, putting Windows in position 0, it will never change, unless he puts another OS just before Windows in a new position 0.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          It would solve his current problem but might create a new problem.
          If Windows is his default, every time there's a kernel update added between the *** Beginning and the *** End, then his default numbering will be thrown off (n will become n+1). Whereas, putting Windows in position 0, it will never change, unless he puts another OS just before Windows in a new position 0.
          That's exactly the problem I had.

Comment

Oh, OK. Then the fix which is an over-fix fixed it anyway!
            I thought perhaps, somehow, your Windows entry was misplaced between the *** Begin and ***End. In any case, as you can see, using the zero position just before *** Begin fixes many issues. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
            X