X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Kubuntu installation

ok, here goes.
    I have been using Ubuntu (gnome ed.) for a while, and it works well enough. i wanted to try kubuntu out. i downloaded the ISO and began the install. here is where things broke down. after loading the kernel it gave me an err 1 message and term'd. i thought it might have been a defect in the cd, so i burned a new one. this time it gave me an err 2 and term'd. This annoys me to no end. I installed Ubuntu and then apt-get installed kde. it works, but i have all this gnome crap kinna stuck in my system.
    here is what i am looking for, ideas on the cause of the error in the livecd
    - or -
    instructions on batch removing gnome

Re: Problem with Kubuntu installation

What platform do you have for your PC? i386, 64-bit, ....
    Did you download the correct .iso file for your system?
    After download, did you verify that the md5 checksum matched?
    After burning the CD, did you run the disk integrity check (checks to see if the LiveCD is actually valid - no errors)?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If Ubuntu is working OK, you could just install "kubuntu-desktop". That is the meta-package that has all the KDE/Kubuntu stuff. I'm told you will then have a login choice, Gnome or KDE, each time you log in, and from there it is the same as if you were in a standard Ubuntu or Kubuntu installation, depending on which one you selected when you logged in.

Comment

Here is the deal. When you want to install something for which there's a meta-package (gnome and kde, for example), all you need to do is install the meta-package (kde-desktop, it will bring everything of KDE to your system), but when you uninstall the meta-package, guess what happens?!?!?! It uninstalls just the meta-package (30Kb, maybe?)!!! Something else which also uninstalls a meta-package: remove something which comes in the meta-package (in the kde-desktop example, remove kdepim, it will take the kde-desktop with it).
        So what is left to do? Remove everything by hand. But it's a difficult task, because some app may depend on either KDE or Gnome, errr, crap. One ironic example: Adept, the standard GUI for package management in KDE, depends on Gnome stuff. Remove the Gnome stuff and Adept will go too.
        In this case, there's not much to do other than remove carefully the packages you think you don't need.

Comment

thanks for the great input mN, and snow, i am running i386 and i took all the proper precautions and even had another set of eyes double check to make sure i wasn't fubar

Comment

Working...
          X