This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu installation problem

I just tried to install Kubuntu on a HP computer. Kubuntu ran fine from the CD. When I installed it on the hardfile that seemed to work fine also. Trying to boot from the hardfile I had an error 18. I looked in the forum and changed my HDD translation to NORMAL. That cured the error. When I try to boot from the hard file now all I get is a full screen of the word GRUB....all the way across and all the way down the screen. Can anyone please help me?? Thanks in advance. John

Re: Kubuntu installation problem

What is this HDD translation set to NORMAL?

Comment

TO answer your question...On the HP Computer I press F1 to go to setup....Then select Primary Master HF. The second line down says "Translation Method" it was set to LBA when I was getting the error and the forum told me to set it to Normal....then I did a F10 save and exit. The error went away and the install went without a problem until I try to boot from the hard file. I hope this explanes it OK. Thanks for your interest. John

Comment

It needs to be set to LBA, otherwise you can't boot any system whose partition is beyond cylinder 1024. This option should have been banished long time ago.
        The problem is something else. What is the hardware spec of this machine?

Comment

Thanks for your help on this problem. I have no one around here to get help from.

This is a HP Pavilion 7955
          1.5 ghz
          256 memory
          200 gig Hard file.....I do not think this is the original HF that came with the computer.

I have reloaded the software twice using the entire HF for this operating system whith no help. The CD verifys as correct.
          If I boot from the CD all is normal and it seems to work fine. Booting from the HF I get the following message...

LBA
          Grub loading stage 1.5
          grub loading please wait
          error 18

I search error 18 on the internet and several tips said to change my LBA to NORMAL. To do this I go to setup on boot up and select "setupup defaults" it says my primary master is a ST3200822A HF. Looking at this HF it is "Type Auto". If I change Auto to USER TYPE HDD I can now change my LBA to normal.
          This results in a full screen of the word Grub....many times and it seems to be scrolling when booting from the HF.

I hope you can understand this and give me some direction to try anything. Booting from CD makes Kubuntu look real good and I want to really get into this and use as my primary operating system.
          Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. John

Comment

Suppose your disk is partitioned this way:
            FAT (Windows) - 10GB
            Swap (Linux) - 150MB
            Ext3 (Linux) - 8GB, mount point = /

Your Ext3 partition, which contains your /boot dir, is physical beyond 4GB on this hypotetical setup. In this case, LBA is needed because NORMAL has the cylinder 1024 limitation.
            Is the disk clean? Is there any data to be backed up?
            You can do another partitioning if you want to try the NORMAL mode.

This is:
            Ext2 or 3 (Linux) - 100MB, mount point = /boot
            FAT (Windows) - 10GB
            Swap (Linux) - 150MB
            Ext3 (Linux) - 7.9GB, mount mount = /

This would ensure that the Linux boot partition and the windows partition are located before cylinder 1024, thus it MAY work.
            The /boot and FAT partitions can be primary, but you need to create an extended partition and 2 logical partitions in it for swap and root, since you can have up to 3 primary partitions, but now we need 4.
            Remember that this is just a way to fool the BIOS so you can try the NORMAL translation to solve the Error 18. I'm still thinking the problem is somewhere else, but you got nothing to lose.
            Since your disk is 200GB, you can grow the FAT and the root Linux partitions to fit it. The /boot just needs to be large enough to store the kernel images, and the swap, see what the configuration program suggests.
            Good luck.

Comment

More information that may help....I am just stopped in my tracks

I booted up using the CD. Then looked at the DISK & FILE SYSTEMS System Settings. here is what I found
              mount point type device enabled
              1 partition 185.6 gb /dev/sda1 not enabled
              2 partition 1.0 kb /tmp tmpfs tmpfs yes enabled
              5 partition 729.5 mb swap swap /dev/sda5 yes enabled

Not sure but can this help diagnose the problem? Thanks, John

Comment

Working...
              X