This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.04 Desktop CD

Downloaded the Feisty Fawn desktop CD and ran it in Windows. I can read all of the files, help pages etc but when I try to boot from it on either my laptop or the main machine, it tells me in both instances that this is not a bootable CD. Windows boots from Windows CD on both machines. Any ideas?

Re: Kubuntu 7.04 Desktop CD

Did you burn the disc as an image or did you just copy the files to a cd. When the iso is download it must be burned as an image and preferably at a slow speed 4x.
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Yes, I burned it as an image and yes it was slow [by default] - took 40 minutes or so to burn. I'm wondering if there is a "boot" file missing as I can't find anything which I would expect to boot the CD at computer startup. - then again - not sure what to look for. I had Ubuntu working well but decided I should really have Kubuntu. Now I've lost Ubuntu into the bargain! Ubuntu was not installed from a CD - I used WUBI to download that one.

Comment

do a checksum on the iso, at least you'll know whether there were any download errors
        and isn't 40mins for a cd a bit too slow?

Comment

I would get the md5 check sums of both the disc and the download and compare them. they should be the same. You can get the true figure from the site you downloaded it from and see how it compares to you burn. I suspect a bad burn. Also don't try to extract the image in windows before you burn it, this could corrupt the files.
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Thanks to both for your replies

[1] sorry that should have read 20 mins.

[2] Yes I exracted the files but only to read them - the original iso was used for the CD.

I'll do a checksum and see what it throws up.

My only other attempt at Linux was several years ago when Redhat came out - pity that this is becoming a less then enjoyable experience.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X