X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED / xorg won't boot

Hi

I just to went to try change my display settings. Hardware is reported to be an i945 but the recommended driver was the i810. So I thought to change it. In a production machine!.

Problem is now Xorg won't boot and says can't find Screen and display does not match the settings.

As you can see I'm quite the noob troubleshooting xorg and linux in general, so I would be very grateful for any pointers to troubleshooting guides/tuts or any helpful tips in these cases. Your experience counts!.

Thanks in advance...
    Be happy

Re: xorg won't boot

There will be a backup copy of the /etx/X11/xorg.conf file. It will be listed as xorg.conf~

If you want to easily get back to what you have before you changed the file, open a Console and change into the /etc/X11 directory. Then:

Code:
    sudo mv xorg.conf xorg.conf_BAD
    sudo cp xorg.conf~ xorg.conf
    Restart the xserver.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: xorg won't boot

Hi again!

solved!

After much looking around in the web through the kubuntu install cd, I found the solution in the xorg.conf file!!!
      line 13-15 says:
      # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
      # again, run the following command:
      # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

So easy!. After so many hours searching, it's even funny!

Thanks to snowhog, but no backup file was to be found...

Comment

Working...
      X