Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

never got chance to create user -- now it wants password?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never got chance to create user -- now it wants password?

okay, having made it through a rather tricky notebook install, i sought to put 7.04 on my desktop machine. used the "special needs" CD, in that i wanted to keep my /home, which is a nice, big partition. no problem except that during the install, which was text-based, it never prompted me to set up an account. then, upon reboot -- when the CD is ejected, etc. -- it asked me for username and password. accepted the username, but of course a password never having been set, it will not let me log in. so. any ideas as to how this might get fixed?

(a comment in passing -- during install it at one point presented a list of uncommented kernels from which to choose, with no suggestion as to why one might be chosen over another. which i thought was a bit of a lapse.)

anyway, thanks in advance.

Re: never got chance to create user -- now it wants password?

alas, i figured it out, but the solution illustrates a pretty serious security hole, so i'll not list it here. created user after creating a root password.

user set up fine, can log in. though now it will not accept *any* sudo password, though it allows su root in a terminal window just fine.

not real impressed.

Comment

Re: never got chance to create user -- now it wants password?

My two-cents here, so please take no offense.

Are you aware, that the *ubuntu Linux OS does not utilize a separate root user as is the case in many other Linux distros? When first installed, the first user created is granted 'root' privileges 'when required.' When root level privilege is needed to perform a task while in a console, the use of 'sudo [username]' followed by the proper password of [username] is what temporarily grants that [username] the permissions and privileges of 'root.' This isn't a security hole; it is the design of *ubuntu Linux.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X