This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENVY BROKE MY X

I installed ENVY and on boot up My GUI hung at the NVIDIA splash.
    I tried to remove the driver through 'envy -t uninstall driver and now my susytem is kaputt again ( I recently did a format after a failed automatix nvidia driver install and reinstalled everything, now I in the poo again!)

I guess what I have destroyed and removered is my xserver-xorg completely

I tried 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' and got an error that there is none anymore
    I tried 'sudo apt-get install xserver-org' and it said it can't find it
    'sudo aptitude update'
    sudo aptitude install -s-V xserver-xorg-core'
    sudo aptitude dist upgrade' all these gave me a Super cow error
    I really don't want to have to format again.!!!!!
    Is there a way to download and reinstall it?
    Or if now how can I retrieve the my home folder files.
    I'm a newbie that shouldn't play with the sudo su me thinks
    Please help

Re: ENVY BROKE MY X

Try this

Code:
    ls /etc/X11
    This will show you if there is an old xorg.conf file. If there is:

Code:
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf(current) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bad
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf(old) /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    This should get you a working file to use to get X back.
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Yep, what eriefisher said.

What is you graphics card model?

Comment

Code:
        [quote=eriefisher ]
        Try this 

[code]ls /etc/X11
        This will show you if there is an old xorg.conf file. If there is:

Code:
        mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf(current) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bad
        mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf(old) /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        This should get you a working file to use to get X back.
        [/quote]

Ok , I'm in unchartered territory here, LOL
        I did code]ls /etc/X11[/code] and there were quite a lot of entries in ther. Don't know what they mean but one entry said ' app-default xorg.config 200700730212009, then there were about another 6 entries with numbers of the quantiy, some had backup listed near them.
        I suppose it must have been me mucking around
        I'm lost.

My graphics card in an intergrated Nvidia Geforce mx

IAs I said I previously used automatix in the past and it insatlled and upgraded my Nvidia with out a problem on Edgy . But on Feisty is crashed X.
        So I tried Envy and it crashed.

I tried sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new also, and now I can get the Kubuntu Logo and startup screen and then it crashes (bore it gets to the splash screen)
        goes black and then returns to a Kubuntu screen without the startbar

Comment

xorg.config 200700730212009

These are old xorg.conf files, use the "mv" command to move them. Basically all it does is rename them by removing the date code(2007007....). These were probaby created by Envy. So lets try this.

Code:
          mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bad
          Enter

Code:
          mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.200700730212009 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
          Enter

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
            xorg.config 200700730212009

These are old xorg.conf files, use the "mv" command to move them. Basically all it does is rename them by removing the date code(2007007....). These were probaby created by Envy. So lets try this.

Code:
            mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bad
            Enter

Code:
            mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.200700730212009 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            Enter
            so I need to remove each entry seperately, ( the ones with Date codes. )

Comment

No don't remove anything just yet. By using "mv" it will just remove the date extenion and then the system will recognize the file and hopefully be able to use it. If that one doesn't work just try another one. Instead of changing or overwriting the file Envy "moved it" with "mv" just by adding the extension and created a new one reflecting the driver and hardware. Once you changed it you will have to start x by sudo startx.

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                No don't remove anything just yet. By using "mv" it will just remove the date extenion and then the system will recognize the file and hopefully be able to use it. If that one doesn't work just try another one. Instead of changing or overwriting the file Envy "moved it" with "mv" just by adding the extension and created a new one reflecting the driver and hardware. Once you changed it you will have to start x by sudo startx.
                Thanks that helped me till I got out of the frying pan and into the fire LOL.
                After doing the 'mv' I rebooted and did 'startx' I got to the GUI but the screen settings were quite large, I was unable to change any settings, possibly display driver issues.
                I noticed there were about 200 odd updates in the Adept notifier so I proceeded to update. I got and error that to commit some updates could cause an error. Then I got a message to dpkg - configure--a to resolve the issues.
                So I tried that.
                Now when I reboot I get a 'Busy Box V1.1.3'
                with /bin/sh:can't access tty; job control turned off (initramfs)
                NOW I'M REALLY IN HOT WATER.
                I

Comment

Problem fixed now... the hard way, reformatted and reinstalled feisty.
                  Lesson learn't "NEWBIES NO TOUCH.... anything with Sudo Su " LOL, only use repos not .deb files??
                  My kids did have some homework saved in openoffice, I tried the Feisty live CD but couldn't access and of the files , ( must have done something wrong?) I ended up using a Kanotix live CD I had and got access to all files on the drive, found the saved odts and emailed them with the live cd to myself reinstalled feisty and got my files via email. Probably not the way you guys would have done it.
                  It has been a good learning experience and I'd like to thank you guys that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by rovernaut

It has been a good learning experience and I'd like to thank you guys that helped.
                    Yeah, I know about those "learning experiences"! :P

Here's a tip that would have prevented the "saving my data before re-installing" problem, although I'm too late with it this time around. Make and use a separate hard drive partition for your /home directory. It's not difficult at all, and that way when you need to re-install (which should NOT be often), you need not concern yourself with saving your data from being overwritten by the new installation. You simply mount the partition on /home in the new installation, and it's all there for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Originally posted by rovernaut

Yeah, I know about those "learning experiences"! :P

Here's a tip that would have prevented the "saving my data before re-installing" problem, although I'm too late with it this time around. Make and use a separate hard drive partition for your /home directory. It's not difficult at all, and that way when you need to re-install (which should NOT be often), you need not concern yourself with saving your data from being overwritten by the new installation. You simply mount the partition on /home in the new installation, and it's all there for you.
                      Thanks. that's a good tip. it does intrigue me though how you guys are a wealth of info on the various codes.... whee do you guys learn all this stuff?

Comment

Working...
                      X