X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu 7.04 on XP Machine

Hello fellow enthusiasts!
    I am a new user of Kubuntu or for that matter Linux itself. I have just received the live CD and tried it for couple of days... Its very refreshing to use this OS. Now I want to install it on my computer.
    I want to know how to install Kubuntu while keeping the existing data intact and accessible by Kubuntu.

While using the live cd, I noted that I was not able to see/access any of the existing files on my computer.
    Please help me break free of the MS environment.

P.S. I would also like to know if I can have to option of running either Kubuntu or XP at startup?
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Re: Installing Kubuntu 7.04 on XP Machine

In reverse order of you questions asked:

Yes. You can 'select' at startup which OS you want to run. This is the result of installing Kubuntu as a second OS for dual-booting.

Seeing and accessing your XP files is doable.

Keeping your XP OS means that you will want to install Kubuntu as a second OS. This means you will be dual-booting.

There are good Howto's here in the forum that will help you do everything that you have asked. Take some time to check them out. Probably the single biggest contributor to a new Linux users 'bad experiences' is that they did not take the time to gather the information they will need, and didn't take the time to RTM (read the manual, or in this case, the Howto's). Do both of these first. Note any questions you have on things you don't understand and post them in the Forum. It will result in a far more pleasant experience with Linux if you do. It will take you more time to do this, but, in the end, you will be better off for it.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanks a ton buddy
      Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Comment

You will be well served to scan/read through the information in these two posts:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3228.0
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=197.0

Again, take notes. Post your questions. You will receive assistance. 8)
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

For making sure you have a dual boot setup.
          Then, when you turn on your PC, a "boot menu" will come up offering you a choice of which operating system you wish to boot into.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you all!
            Looking forward for a great MS free experience!

Keep up the good work and lets hope I become knowledgeable enough to help others.

Comment

As mentioned before booting both systems should not be a problem and I would suggest reading Qqmikes how-to to get a better idea.

As for your data, that is a different story, not difficult but different.

As a rule I always have my data seperate from my OS partition.

So, if you don't have this setup already and have room on your HD(s)
              I would suggest you do that first.

Then just copy your data from "my documents" (or whatever) into that new partition.

I have a separate Data partition formated in fat32 for this purpose.
              Fat32 is easier for linux (windows reads that anyway) although ntfs works as well with a few tweaks.

There is a great tool with lots of worthwhile info on partitioning for this here:
              http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

With gparted you can setup the following partitions:
              /data (as large as you can and need to, format as fat32 or ntfs)

/home (about 3-7 GB, format as ext3) this is for your personal (user) configurations and it is a good idea to have it separate as well.

/swap (about 1 GB, more is a waste)

/ (4-8 GB, format as ext3) this is for your Linux installation

Write down the positions (hda1, hda2, etc) where which partition is being created.
              as an example:
              data=hda5
              home=hda6
              swap=hda7
              /=hda8

Now when you do the installation from the live cd and after choosing languages, etc. choose manual partitioning and select the partitions you made above (right click->edit) and choose the one you made for data, mount it as /data, the one you chose for /home, mount and format it as /home, the one for swap mount and format as /swap and mount and format the partiton you chose as / as /.

Do not format /data if there is anything on it!!!

Note: You will probably see your partitions named : /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc. Don't let that phase you. It is just kubuntu's way of saying the same thing. For kubuntu hda1 is sda1.

From the there on the installation is automatic.

Another idea would be to download the alternate cd just as a fall back as the live install can sometimes be a bit capricious.

There is plenty of documentation on installing with the alternate cd.
              Here is a good place to start:
              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/I386

Welcome and enjoy

I hope that helps you for a start.

Cheers
              Fintan
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks Fintan! Actually I was trying 'qparted' in the evening, but found a bit of inhibition on continuing because it warned me to back-up the data. However your post should be very helpfull in installation without losing the existing data.

Comment

You are welcome an thank you.
                  But whatever you do don't use qparted (or qtparted) use gparted. I know the name looks almost the same and can cause confusion but they are very much different and gparted should work fine.

Of course using any partition app. has a few risks and data backup is always a good idea. With or without partitioning.

Another bit of advice inmho:
                  when you start resizing and partitioning. Do it one step (partition) at a time.
                  It will take a bit longer but will be cleaner.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

thanks for the warning, I will definitely let you know once I install.

Comment

The LiveCD that I received has 'qtparted' in system menu. So I tried to install 'gparted' from the Adept Package Manager. However, when I clicked 'Apply Changes', it shows an error message as follows:
                      "There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages."

Please help. Also I am not able to configure broadband internet connection while using LiveCD. Is that the reason why I am not able to load gparted?
                      If so, please help, how do I configure my internet connection from LiveCD. I have a broadband connection through a LAN Card and a modem. I also have a Dial-up Connection.

Comment

Hello everybody
                        Just to let you all know that Kubuntu was successfully installed. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X