X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu freeze - HP laptop

hi

I decided i wanted a dual boot on my laptop (HP dv9000) with XP installed and Kubuntu.The installation Cd didnt work so i downloaded Alternate Kubuntu cd 7.0.4.Disk sda1(windows xp) og sda2(linux) with swap.Everything worked fine until i rebooted.Now it freezes on startup.Its the blue line under the Kubuntu logo that wont move.

What to do :S

Re: Kubuntu freeze - HP laptop

When it is "frozen", let it sit for a minute or two, and then see if it is possible to do Alt-F1, or Ctrl-Alt-F1, and see a text login in prompt? If yes, then here's your solution:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      When it is "frozen", let it sit for a minute or two, and then see if it is possible to do Alt-F1, or Ctrl-Alt-F1, and see a text login in prompt? If yes, then here's your solution:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Hmm.When i press alt + F1 or ctrl +alt +F1 nothing happens.I get an error tho right before it tries to load. "Failed to allocate mem resource...."

Comment

Bummer!

I think the "failed to allocate" message is probably a non-problem -- I have that too from my PCI bus, every boot up. It doesn't seem to impair anything.

So you were able to run the Live CD, no problem? But after installing, now it won't boot? Did you try "recovery mode", and log into the text prompt? Does it seem to run in text mode? I'm still suspecting video as a problem, but maybe it's something else. Have you searched Ubuntu forum on your HP laptop model? How much space did you make for your Linux installation on that hard drive?

EDIT: HP DV9000 thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=431815

Comment

Bummer!

I think the "failed to allocate" message is probably a non-problem -- I have that too from my PCI bus, every boot up. It doesn't seem to impair anything.

So you were able to run the Live CD, no problem? But after installing, now it won't boot? Did you try "recovery mode", and log into the text prompt? Does it seem to run in text mode? I'm still suspecting video as a problem, but maybe it's something else. Have you searched Ubuntu forum on your HP laptop model? How much space did you make for your Linux installation on that hard drive?

EDIT: HP DV9000 thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=431815
          I get an error when i try to run the Kubuntu Live Cd "Error reading boot CD" and i have a ubuntu Live CD i got from school and it wont work either.It just freezes too while loading like Kubuntu.
          I use Grub.
          Recovery mode freezes too, but not at the same place.
          Been using text mode most of the time with no luck.

Been trying to google it a few times with no luck.
          54 gb at that partiotion.

Eww, i'm stuck =(

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmamba

Eww, i'm stuck =(
            Yep, I think you're going to have to make a study of that Ubuntu Forums thread. Appears there is a BIOS issue with that particular laptop -- you have to do something special to make it behave. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmamba

Eww, i'm stuck =(
              Yep, I think you're going to have to make a study of that Ubuntu Forums thread. Appears there is a BIOS issue with that particular laptop -- you have to do something special to make it behave. :P
              I agree the laptop sucks bigtime.Had a few problems with fan and webcam.Now i think its a problem with the disk,but i fixed the problem with linux
              I just typed nolapic in Grub and booted,then it worked and i saved nolapic in the menu.lst at /boot/grub/menu.lst in the end of every kernel line.
              Now it works just fine

Comment

Working...
              X