X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random freezing at boot, won't go past "Loading, please wait..."

Hi there,

It seems at random times, and it can be consecutive times, Kubuntu will freeze with a tiny bit of the blue bar filling up. CTRL-ALT-F1 shows it freezes immediately after the "Loading. Please wait ..." message but it doesn't move any further. Though I can reboot and it will boot up fine with no problems (although it's just taken me at least 15 boots before it got past the message and booted fine)

Recovery mode boots fine, though I thought I'd try and do a complete re-install and I think I may have found the problem. I was getting an error saying (err_mask=0x4) which I've googled to find it's to do with IDE drives not being read right. It did continue after a few minutes, so maybe it isn't the same problem as booting normally flat out refuses to go past "loading, please wait..." no matter how long I leave it.

Booting using the Live CD and trying a fresh install didn't seem to work right either, as the partitioner only gave me the manual option, and didn't see any of my drives. Very confusing!

Re: Random freezing at boot, won't go past "Loading, please wait..."

Merely (from) a gut feeling: did you give the "Gubuntu" (read: Ubuntu feat. Gnome) live disk a try? If this worked, adding KDE shouldn't pose a problem ...

Comment

Kubuntu was the first and only version of Linux I've tried. Should I grab Gubuntu and try installing over my Kubuntu install?

Comment

Sufficient bandwith provided, I' grab a copy of Ubuntu (read: the regular "desktop" version) and try to boot from this into live mode - and check is this is going to make any difference (besides the environment, of course ...).

Comment

Cheers, will give it a try and report back

Comment

Grabbed the Ubuntu 7.04 and booted using the cd, it came up with three (err_mask=0x40) errors and two (err_mask=0x4) errors after ten minutes before I lost patience with it and rebooted. It does seem to have something to do with not liking my DVD-RW as it mentions ata3 on all of the lines, yet my DVD-RW is fine in XP and Kubuntu when it (eventually) boots up.

Edit: Okay, it's not anything to do with my DVD-RW as I've just removed the power to the DVD-RW and it still froze booting Kubuntu.

Comment

Hmmm ... in this case, you may either "revert" to Kubuntu 06.10 - or to the KDE version of plain Debian 4.0 ... (?).

Comment

Working...
              X