This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu put my dell monitor in sleep mode

O.k..... I understand that Kubuntu has an issue with nVidia cards, so I set it up to boot from cd in another pc....
    Load screen came on, fine, text "ok's" went fine.... then when it was time for the boot screen.... the green led light on my 19" Dell lcd screen went yellow?!!!!
    Now the screen wont come on and says "VGA in sleep mode, press any key to wake (or close to that....)
    I also now dont even get the bios boot on that pc!!! It is completely messed up??!!
    Im giving up on Kubuntu..... serious problems..... Why can't they just make it as easy as Fedora 7?!!!! I have had no problems with Fedora.... I am not happy that Kubuntu has now messed up a $250.00 monitor, which I do not have the money to replace?!!!!

Changed to new video card, monitor says
    "analog input in power save mode"
    "press any key on keyboard or mouse"

Well.... I pressed every key on my keyboard and mouse... and nothing happens!!!! I am going to be incredibally not happy if I can't fix this... anyone have any suggestions??!! Because whether or not Ubuntu claims they are "not responsible"... if I get enough people this has happened to, I will bring a class action and get Ubuntu /. Kubuntu, etc shut down if they are going to continue to cause such harm to peoples pc equipment " we are not all pc geeks and wizards"!!!!!!

Re: Kubuntu put my dell monitor in sleep mode

Originally posted by geminiguy
    I understand that Kubuntu has an issue with nVidia cards
    Huh? What "issue"?

the green led light on my 19" Dell lcd screen went yellow?!!!!
    What does the monitor manual indicate that the yellow LED means? Probably it's just indicating that it is in a power-saving mode.

I also now dont even get the bios boot on that pc!!! It is completely messed up??!!
    What's a "bios boot"? Do you mean that the splash screen/message from BIOS when you first power it on no longer shows? Or, if you attempted to install Kubuntu, that the boot screen that your previous OS put up no longer appears? There's no capability in a bootable Kubuntu live CD (or any other Linux live CD that I've ever heard of) to change the BIOS settings in your computer -- only you can do that by either deliberately entering the BIOS settings utility to change a setting, or by flashing it with a special file from the BIOS builder.

Im giving up on Kubuntu..... serious problems
    Yes, I'd say so -- but it's very hard to tell what the problems actually are, or how serious

I am not happy that Kubuntu has now messed up a $250.00 monitor
    What -- you believe that a piece of software crawled up the wire and fiddled with the insides of your monitor? Probably that did NOT happen .....

Comment

I am just really upset right now... please understand....

I put the Kubuntu live cd in a pc,
      set it up to boot from the cd
      diabled my hard drive (as I have read others who lost their entire drive)
      my bios "splash came on
      then the Kubuntu splash
      then it said "loading please wait"
      then the screen went black, and the power led on my monitor went from green to yellow??!!
      I pressed the buttons and got
      "analog input is in power save mode, press any key on the mouse or keyboard"
      pressing keys and mouse does nothing.... I didnt go into any bios and make any changes other than boot from cd... so what do you suggest happened?!!!!

And now.... "NOTHING" works on that pc??!! there is no bios splash, no reaction to keys or mouse??!!

So.... what messed up this pc??!! Hmmmmm......

Comment

I am just really upset right now... please understand....
        Sure -- most of us have been there

I put the Kubuntu live cd in a pc,
        set it up to boot from the cd
        These were the right things to do
        disabled my hard drive
        this was not a good idea -- entirely unnecessary, and possibly counterproductive. When you say "disable", what exactly do you mean -- did you pull connectors from hardware, or did you go into BIOS and tell it there aren't any hard drives on the computer?

(as I have read others who lost their entire drive)
        I guess it depends on what you mean by "lost" -- it is certainly possible to inadvertently overwrite your existing partitioning and formatting, and thereby lose your old OS as well as your data. If that is an unacceptable risk for your purposes, it would be better to use another hard drive for your experiments with alternate operating systems.

my bios "splash came on
        then the Kubuntu splash
        then it said "loading please wait"
        These are the normal and expected indications

then the screen went black, and the power led on my monitor went from green to yellow??!!
        These are not what is expected or desired, but video display problems are fairly common, when the live CD's graphics auto-detecting function fails to correctly identify your graphics chip

"analog input is in power save mode, press any key on the mouse or keyboard"
        pressing keys and mouse does nothing.... I didnt go into any bios and make any changes other than boot from cd... so what do you suggest happened?!!!!
        I think this was a message from the monitor's control circuitry, reflecting receipt of a signal from your video card that indicated "go to power-save mode". But, since power-save mode is a normal mode of your monitor, it is not a damaging or permanent condition, it is just an error of the way Linux is interacting with your video display system.

Alternatively, it could have been sent from your video display card/chip, but again, in error due to the fact that it is not being set up correctly by Linux.

And now.... "NOTHING" works on that pc??!! there is no bios splash, no reaction to keys or mouse??!!

So.... what messed up this pc??!! Hmmmmm......
        Well, it sounds like between disabling the hard drive and changing the boot sequence to put the CD first, you have altered the configuration from the way it was before your Kubuntu experiment began. I would remove the CD, change the boot sequence back to the way it was, restore whatever you changed when you disabled your hard drive, and boot the computer to see what happens. No guarantees, because I can't tell what all was done to your system during your work on it. :P

Comment

O.k, here is my plan, please let me know what you think.

first though, the first time I put the live cd in, my pc was already set to boot first from cd, and then the hard drive, etc.. The problem was, my os (winxp) grabs immediatley, very quick, before the cd rom has a chance to even get running, so, when I powered on, the win xp began to boot, and then the Kubuntu cd began to boot, and there were some graphical glitches on the screen.....
          I figured to quickly power down, before my hard drive got wiped or corrupted.
          next, I just unplugged the hard drive and then pwered up again, ... this is when the monitor problem came into play.....

Now..., I just had to take this little pc apart ( hp pavilion 6746c) celeron 733 MHz 128/66 with 512 Mb RAM, because the area to get to the board is rediculously small.... to get to the lithium battery, so I could take it out, then put it back in after a while (this has rescued me numerous times in the past with bios problems on other pc"s...... I am going to power up and hope all is back to normal.... (or what is considered normal in my own little mind....)
          If all is well, what could / or would you suggest from there? I would really love to be able to join the world of Kubuntu...... but I am having alot of difficulty

I have already jumped into the Fedora 7 world and really enjoy it.... I just wish Kubuntu were as easy to boot / load / install........ "Savey....?"

Comment

"AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"......... "SUCCESS"!!!!!! Im back in business...... Now...... How do you suggest I begin this round?!!!!

Please teach me ohhh great and powerful master.......... (jsut kidding) I actually truely appreciate all your assistance on this, thanks

do you think I should just take this hard drive out and put another one in, (even if it doesnt boot anything

Comment

The problem was, my os (winxp) grabs immediatley, very quick, before the cd rom has a chance to even get running
              This is a serious problem! If you have set the boot sequence in BIOS to boot from CD first, when a bootable CD is in the CD ROM drive the OS on the hard drive should NEVER be able to "beat the clock" -- I'm afraid there's something wrong in either your CD ROM drive or your BIOS settings. I would personally be afraid to do any further OS experiments until I had a reliable "CD First" boot sequence that always works.

when I powered on, the win xp began to boot, and then the Kubuntu cd began to boot, and there were some graphical glitches on the screen.....
              Yep, this is bad too. You gotta get that CD booting thing fixed, or you're going to have worse problems than a yellow LED on the monitor!

I figured to quickly power down, before my hard drive got wiped or corrupted.
              I don't blame you for trying, but you need to bear in mind that electrons and disk writes are way faster than human fingers -- if the Win XP boot block got corrupted during this maneuver, you may be looking at a Windows recovery problem, totally unrelated to Kubuntu.

next, I just unplugged the hard drive and then powered up again, ... this is when the monitor problem came into play.....

Now..., I just had to take this little pc apart ( hp pavilion 6746c) celeron 733 MHz 128/66 with 512 Mb RAM, because the area to get to the board is rediculously small.... to get to the lithium battery, so I could take it out, then put it back in after a while (this has rescued me numerous times in the past with bios problems on other pc"s...... I am going to power up and hope all is back to normal.... (or what is considered normal in my own little mind....)
              Well, maybe ...

Usually there is also a "BIOS defaults" jumper on the motherboard, that you can move to the "Return to defaults" position for a single power-on cycle, to restore the original factory settings. You'll have to Google your motherboard and find a diagram to figure this out, but it might get you a better result than pulling the CMOS battery.

If all is well, what could / or would you suggest from there? I would really love to be able to join the world of Kubuntu...... but I am having alot of difficulty
              Yes you are -- you've got an awful lot of hardware issues going on -- makes it very tough to know whether an OS is behaving well or badly.

One thing you should know is that any "Live CD", be it Kubuntu or anything else, is designed NOT to change your hardware, but instead to give you a viewable experience with the OS -- just to see what it looks like on your platform. So, when you boot a Kubuntu live CD, as long as you stay away from the "Install Me" menu, there will be no changes to your computer hardware.

I hope this is helpful advice.

Comment

Please teach me ohhh great and powerful master.......... (jsut kidding) I actually truely appreciate all your assistance on this, thanks
                I'm not master of much, but I'm glad we're no longer talking "class action suits" ....

do you think I should just take this hard drive out and put another one in, (even if it doesnt boot anything
                Actually, that is exactly what I did when I began my Linux experimenting, around a year ago. I shut down Win XP, pulled the power connector and data cable off that hard drive, connected up my "guinea pig" hard drive, and away we went, with no fears about losing anything important.

By the way, you should plan on installing Kubuntu about 8 times before you're happy with your results. No instant gratification here, but one very fine system once you've made your way down the learning curve.

Comment

Thanks... So, here's another "Q"..... What is the difference between Fedpra and Kubuntu?? Why is Fedora so much easier and more "user friendly" (especially for infidels like myself)??!!
                  I watched a video on Kubuntu and was really impressed by some of the features i.e. having to enter name and password for each progr4am, as this keeps those losers who have nothing better to do all day but sit in their mother's basement, living off social security and hacking peoples systems....
                  I do illustration, and dont like the idea of anyone being able to get in and muck things up that is actually owned by clients (or potential clientel)

By the way. in case you didnt get my last post, I have that pc up and running again exactly as it was before all this happened, the good ole battery plan

Comment

Hey.... I finally got it running!!!! What a beautiful look!!!!
                    I unplugged the hard drive and put another one in (minus the cd)
                    the bios came up and then read that the hard drive was wrong format or whatever.... but then more bios text came up to say

freebsd, i386 not found
                    boot:

seems to me that the live cd has actually affected the bios on this pc!!!!

anyway, I went ahead and put the live cd in, restarted and... "VIOLA"!!!!!!!
                    I am now running Kubuntu 7.04 on that pc?!!!!!

What are your thoughts on all this twilight zone events!!!!

Comment

Thanks... So, here's another "Q"..... What is the difference between Fedpra and Kubuntu?? Why is Fedora so much easier and more "user friendly" (especially for infidels like myself)??!!
                      That word "easy" is such a subjective term, isn't it? My response: "Mandarin is easy for a Chinese person ....."

I doubt Fedora would be "easier" for me, because I've never installed it or used it. Kubuntu is pretty "easy" for me.

I watched a video on Kubuntu and was really impressed by some of the features i.e. having to enter name and password for each progr4am, as this keeps those losers who have nothing better to do all day but sit in their mother's basement, living off social security and hacking peoples systems....
                      I do illustration, and dont like the idea of anyone being able to get in and muck things up that is actually owned by clients (or potential clientel)
                      Without having seen the same video, all I can advise is "don't believe everything you see or hear in a video". Kubuntu is one of many distribution of Linux -- check this out:

http://distrowatch.com/

But, if you are comfortable and productive with Windows, you need to consider seriously whether you really, really, should make a transition. There need to be good reasons -- your little heart attack this morning illustrates how wrenching a bad result can be. I've been running Kubuntu and Ubuntu for a year now, and I still have the occasional painful "learning experience". Fortunately, I learned early how to protect my data, which is something that you need to make sure you have a handle on before you start up the disk partitioner.

Speaking of which, here's a lot of good information -- would encourage you to research it a bit before diving in (and possibly hurting yourself): http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

By the way. in case you didn't get my last post, I have that pc up and running again exactly as it was before all this happened, the good ole battery plan
                      That is great! But, you gotta fix that CD ROM booting thing .... :P

Comment

I think the only way to fix the booting, is to set cd rom first, then floppy, then removeable devices, then the hard drive?? That should give the cd rom a chance in hell to get going before the bios finds the os on the hard drive??

Actually, the Fedora core 7 is pretty much exactly like the Kubuntu 7.10 build.... I think youd like it, and it boots right up without all these problems....., it has way more pre-loaded programs as well..... But I like this Kubuntu too.... I need this diversity which come with Fedora and Kubuntu, Windows is begining to wear itself out with me... I like it, but I like the refreshing change......

I also have a PowerMac G4 with OSX 10.2 Jaguar on it.... In fact I recently ran through a run getting OSX Jaguar running on my HP Pavilion a810n AMD 3300+ 64 bit pc using an emulator called PearPC... it was a challenge, it was fun, it ran o.k., then my obsession died out and I eliminated it all from my system...... after all... I am a Gemini......

Comment

I agree with your proposed sequence, but my point is that if there is a bootable CD in the drive and that drive is first in the sequence, then it should never go any further -- it should either boot the CD or hang and give you an error message about a problem with the CD. Many years ago, a slow spin-up time on a hard drive could cause a PC to go seek the next bootable device, but those days are long gone (I hope). I have not heard of such a behavior on a CD ROM drive as you described -- it's a serious (and strange) problem to have 2 devices attempting to boot simultaneously, and it will surely be a cause of bad trouble if you can't get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            I agree with your proposed sequence, but my point is that if there is a bootable CD in the drive and that drive is first in the sequence, then it should never go any further -- it should either boot the CD or hang and give you an error message about a problem with the CD. Many years ago, a slow spin-up time on a hard drive could cause a PC to go seek the next bootable device, but those days are long gone (I hope). I have not heard of such a behavior on a CD ROM drive as you described -- it's a serious (and strange) problem to have 2 devices attempting to boot simultaneously, and it will surely be a cause of bad trouble if you can't get it fixed.
                            This is just another test pc, so Im not that concerned about it, I just want to kill all these bugs before I begin to get everything on my two main pc's.... HP Pavilion a810n and a Compaq Presario S5300NX The HP is a 64 bit system which I will use the 64 bit versions
                            I use a wide variety of vector graphics programs, etc... the main one is Xara which is now working with open systems and is available for Fedora and Kubuntu.....

Comment

Im really wondering though, what you think about the fact that when I got the pc going again, then unplugged the hard drive and put a new one in, the bios is commenting on
                              "freebsd i386, not found
                              boot
                              clearly seems to have affected the bios or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X