Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No root file system - but I have set one.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No root file system - but I have set one.

I am trying to install Kubuntu onto my Thinkpad.

I want to keep my /home from my previous SuSE 10.2 setup and install Kubuntu over my SuSE 10.2 root.

The partitioning software wants to make my home the root and format it and keep my root as another device.

I have unselected the radio button to format home and change the mount point to /home

I have selected the radio button to format my root and selected the mount point as /

On selecting next it tells me that

No root file system.

So what is it doing?

Re: No root file system - but I have set one.

Welcome

Well you can do one of three things:
    In the manual partition section of the live install delete the "old" /, recreate and format it and give it mountpoint /.

For some reason the live installer sometimes doesn't "like" old root partitions unless they have been correctly formated. Unfortunately the live partitioner doesn't always do a good job of this.

You can use the alternative install cd. It is more stable and has more options.

You can use the gparted live cd:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

to set up your partitions and then install with one of the cd's.

Above and beyond all that I would be carefull with your suse 10.2 setup. Depending on what version of kde you had in suse you could get some strange results.
    Kubuntu Feisty uses 3.5.6 and suse 10.2 I believe uses KDE 3.5.5
    If you do then you can delete the ./kde (hidden) file in your /home/userxyz
    and let kubuntu set up a new ./kde.
    Conversely and better would be to setup a new user account at install and copy all the config files like mozilla, thunderbird etc. and eventual data into your new user.

If you choose to delete ./kde you should backup all your kontact files, etc.
    Hope that helps and enjoy

Cheers
    Fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
    X