X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation crashes

Hi all,

first of all, i am a complete newbie. I'm not posting in the newbie section, I think here is a better place. I downloaded Kubuntu 7.04 Desktop AMD64 and am now trying to install it. Everything goes fine, booting from CD, selecting the install, I can choose partition, timezone, username etc. and the installation begins. But after some copying of files my computer crashes, and I mean really crashes, no reboot or anything possible. It is as if the powersupply crashes, I know , I can't believe it myself. I really have to unplug the power, wait a bit and the I can completely do the same with the same crash as a result.

Now, being a newbie, I have no idea where to start. Any help?

thanks in advance,

Jef

Re: Installation crashes

It sounds quite difficult to troubleshot.

I'll start checking RAM using memtest (it is an option in the first menu when booting from the CD).

And after that I'd check the CD (there is another option).

Javier.

Comment

I did check the cd and it reported one file with an error (it does not mention which one). I tried redownloading and reburning and it all results in the same.

I also did a bit of lookup and checked the hash with what I found here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes and it is correct. I don't know what might be wrong. I've read about similar problems but nothing like this.

To be honnest this is a frustrating first attempt.

Comment

If you are using a CD-RW, try using a new CD-R, rewritables tend to get worse writing them more and more times.
        If you are using a CD-R, try burning at lower speeds, or try burning to another computer.

Comment

I agree. If the hash of the ISO is correct, but the CD check tool reports a wrong file, it could be very well a burning problem.

You should also check your memory too.

I know that it's quite frustrating when things go wrong the first time .

If you can't burn a correct disk, before cursing Linux to dead and giving it up, you can try some other distro (may i suggest Mandriva), it could give you much better results on your hardware (or not).

Javier.

Comment

You have indicated that you downloaded/burned the 64-bit ISO. Do you in fact, have a 64-bit system
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies.

To answer your suggestions in short:

I'm using a 64 bit system, I guess it would not boot from the CD otherwise. I'm linux newbie but not computer newbie
              I'm using CD-R. I tried different burning speeds and I never had any burning problems with anything else before. Can it be that there is something wrong with the ISO?

I'm not cursing linux, but since i have no idea where to start I downloaded ubuntu, the CD reports no errors and is installing right now. Let me know if this might be a bug, then I'm willing to help.

kind regards, Jef

Comment

Tried Ubuntu, same problem

My guess after some googling: my hardware (SATA) is not supported. I consider this a serious shortcomming. So I tried the previous version, that did work, but then I need to rebuild the kernel to have support for my wifi card. I'm sorry to say so, but my linux adventure is one big dissapointment, I'll stick to my windows which doesn't give me all the fuzz.

grtz, jef

Comment

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same beast with different skin.

If you want to try another distro, you should try, well, another distro like Mandriva, Fedora, Suse, etc....

And it doesn't look like a hardware problem (at least SATA related) at all.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
                  X