X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vista then Kubuntu

Originally posted by blake589t
    Duz it do anything to ur files? I like kubuntu, but my life relies on windows. I'm looking for a safe way to install kubuntu without even touching my windows files. I cannot partition or reformat though so yah... but most certainly, i dont want to lose any part of windows or my files.
    I have them run side-by-side with no issues. But Kubuntu needs to have its own partitions (at least 2, better still 3); so it would be best (if you still don't want to resize your existing partitions) to insert an additional hdd exclusively for Kubuntu.

Comment

I agree with musta ruhtinas. Otherwise you would probably have to shrink your Windows partition.
      Watch for the sales and pick up a second hard drive, even a small 40, 60, or 80 GB will be more than adequate for this (in fact, you could put a few Linux distros on any of those drives, especially the 80GB).

The classic dual-boot reference is Herman’s @
      Bigpond, GRUB: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...system_Entries
      (It deals with just 1 hard drive, but the principles are the same.)

A mixture of IDE/PATA and SATA hard drives on a PC are sometimes difficult to configure for dual-boot, but people do it. Best advice: get switched over to having all newer SATA hard drives in your system.

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

i have used gparted live cd for shrinking windows ntfs partitions successfully a number of times. It is easy. I ususally shrink to 1/2 the size of full drive capacity then install kubuntu on free space. I partition the free space as follows:
        swap 1 g
        / 5-10 g
        /home remaining free space.

linux only allows 4 primary partitions so I ususally make the swap then choose logical partition and create the / and /home on the logical part.
        I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

My comment was for blake489t, when he said:

“Duz it do anything to ur files? I like kubuntu, but my life relies on windows. I'm looking for a safe way to install kubuntu without even touching my windows files. I cannot partition or reformat though so yah... but most certainly, i dont want to lose any part of windows or my files.”

In his case, he needs to be extra careful. Lots of folks have messed up their partitioning or formatted-over and etc. drwho200, the OP, is OK using, GParted, or as Snowhog advises, and I agree, the built-in Vista utility.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

hi, when I installed kubuntu I just answered the gui's questions and split the freespace half/half with windows XP as it offered, it worked without thought, but are we saying here that this will not work with visita(this is in case I try dualboot with it for someone) or can I trust in choosing that response in the install gui
            every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
            X