This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu

Okay, I just downloaded the 7.04 version and burned it onto a CD. Now what do I do?

The computer is a Microsoft Xp, and from looking at some of these topics, NO, I don't want to partition it so it has XP and Kubuntu, I just want it to have the Linux OS.

Step by step guide would be appreciated, if you have a link or have one yourself.

Thanks!!!

Re: Installing Kubuntu

Originally posted by FireHawks
    I just want it to have the Linux OS.

Step by step guide would be appreciated
    OK. Step 1 -- download and burn the Gparted Live CD ISO, from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Step 2 -- boot Gparted Live CD and make 3 partitions:

10 GB for "/" (set the "bootable" flag on this one")
    1 GB for "/{swap}"
    all the rest of it for "/home"

"APPLY" your partitioning choices, and exit GParted.

Step 3 -- boot the Kubuntu Feisty Alternate Install CD, and start installing in Text Mode -- follow "guided installation/guided partitioning"

Step 4 -- when you get to "partitioning", set your mount points as indicated above for each of the 3 partitions, and set it to format the partitions as it installs (use ext3 or reiserfs)

Step 5 -- You boot Kubuntu and enjoy a Microsoft-free life ever after!

Comment

How exactly do I get into where I set up partitions? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to BIOS screens,

Comment

Okay, I booted the computer with the Live CD with the Gnome Partition Editor, and these are all the things that it shows me, how do I create three partitions?

"GParted-LiveCD 0.3.4-8 (auto-configuration)
        GParted-LiveCD 0.3.4-8 (auto-configuration - caching = no cd eject ->
        GParted-LiveCD 0.3.4-8 (auto-configuration and framebuffer)
        GParted-LiveCD (Do X Configuration [mkxf86config = old config system] ->
        GParted-LiveCD (boot off External-usb=cd: /dev/sr0
        GParted-LiveCD Macbook option
        GParted-LiveCD with Frame Buffer
        GParted-LiveCD Force VESA driver
        GParted-LiveCD Force I740 driver
        GParted-LiveCD Force I810 driver
        GParted-LiveCD GP laptop (pci=conf1)
        GParted-LiveCD HP laptop (pci=conf2)
        GParted-LiveCD HP laptop (pci=conf3)
        Boot MBR on first hard drive
        Boot partition #1 on first hard drive
        Boot partition #2 on first hard drive
        Boot partition #3 on first hard drive
        Boot partition #4 on first hard drive
        Boot MBR on second hard drive
        Boot partition #1 on the second hard drive"

Comment

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

Comment

if you do not want windows XP, just start the kubuntu live cd ; once you get to the desktop click on the install icon, then select the option to use entire hard drive. it is a graphical setup and you wont have to worry about complicated partitions, just let kubuntu do it automatically. the only interaction from you is inputing the user name, password(lower case)

Comment

Don't make is so confusing, "dibl"! Just burn the ISO of Kubuntu LiveCD to a CD, then boot from it, and press ENTER to select the default option after you see the menu after your BIOS splash screen. when you see your desktop, there will be only one icon called "install", open it, and answer all of it's questions, and when it asks about partitioning, do it the default way.

H.T.H.!

B.G.

PS: HTH means Hope This Helps

Comment

Just after the installation starts all the icons appear on the quick launch toolbar.
                Then after it shows "initializing system services, it says "Error-KDesktop"
                "the process for the file died unexpectedly".
                When I tried to install under the option "Safe Graphical Installation"
                it showed new error "The application sound server(artsd) crashed and caused
                signal 11(SIGSEGV)
                I want to know whether Kubuntu 7.04 works with Widows XP Professional ?
                Is there any special Linux partition to be made ?
                My mouse cursor freezes & does not move during installation process is on.
                Why it is so ?
                My machine is P 4 2.66 GHZ dual core(Original Pentium Motherboard) 256 MB Memory.
                Should I remove the Windows xp O/S before installing Kubuntu 7.04 ?
                I have received only "LIVE CD" of Kubuntu 7.04.
                Why "Install Cd" was not sent to me ?
                Why the installation process is not interactive to show the user what is being installed
                and how much time it will take ( just like what is shown when any "windows o/s" is installed)
                I have done the "CD CHECK" but it is perfectly o.k.

Comment

You should start a new thread to post a new problem.

Anyway, I'd try to answer all that questions:

Kubuntu failing to boot in different places in two different modes is quite strange. May I suggest that you check your memory, using the memtest option of the boot CD.

I want to know whether Kubuntu 7.04 works with Widows XP Professional ?
                  Umh... what does work with means?.

The correct answer is NO. You either use Linux or Windows. But you can install Kubuntu in a machine that had also Windows XP installed.

Is there any special Linux partition to be made ?
                  Yes. But the installer will take care of this.

I have received only "LIVE CD" of Kubuntu 7.04.
                  Why "Install Cd" was not sent to me ?
                  The Live CD is the Install CD.

Why the installation process is not interactive to show the user what is being installed
                  and how much time it will take ( just like what is shown when any "windows o/s" is installed)
                  Oh, it is quite better than windows install IMHO. But you should probably wait until you see it before making suggestions .

Javier.

Comment

Even after a dozen attempts I was not able to install
                    Kubuntu 7.04 from the live CD.Every time it throwsup some
                    new error the most common being "The KDE process died unexpectedly".
                    I tried memory test and everything else suggested by my friends.
                    The maximum I could go is up to the stage "Select Your Language".
                    But it did not show any list of languages at all I waited for half an hour, but when the cd rom was not showing any flickering light for about 35 minutes,
                    I threw up my hands.I made 4 more attempts after that but without
                    success.Should I install "Ubuntu 5.1" and then "Kubuntu 7.04" ?
                    Windows XP Professional is already there on my machine.How partitioning is to be done ?
                    C20 GB) No O/S but my data files only
                    D10 GB) EMPTY
                    E: (9 GB)XP PROF O/S

Comment

@abn91c and billy:
                      Having a separate /home partition as dible suggested makes perfect sense for various reasons. The most glaring being it is not good policy to have the OS and the data on the same partition.

@vsprabhu:
                      First of all I would go here and have a good read:
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=7.0

Most of us have read this at one time or other.

Then make a new CD setting the writing speed to 4x. Sometimes the Install/Live cd gets corrupted if written at a fast speed.

I don't know how or why you put xp pro on partiton E: but be that as it may you can put Kubuntu on your empty partition when you get there.

Above and beyond all that I agree with jan:
                      You should start a new thread to post a new problem.
                      I hope that helps

Cheers
                      Fintan
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X