X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems wiht Shutdown and Reboot

Hi everyone,

I know, that this topic is already in the forum at last a couple of times, but, I tried all the solutions, and doesn't work any of them.

I tried with edit "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" and edit the lines

* HaltCmd=/sbin/shutdown -h now
    * RebootCmd=/sbin/shutdown -r now
    * TerminateServer=true

I tried too, from the console with:
    * sudo shutdown now

And I tried too, to edit the menu.lst and add "acpi=off apm=power-off " in the line that start with "kernel ..."

None of those work, any idea?

I just installed the Kubuntu yesterday, and the only thing that I did, was update the files... but... the problems with the shutdown and reboot was allready when I just finished the installation.

Thank you.

Re: Problems wiht Shutdown and Reboot

Not in the order addressed, but ...

If you try to shutdown from a non-root konsole, then:

sudo shutdown -r now

else from a root konsole:

shutdown -r now

The -r is required.

As to editing the /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc file and it not *working* as you expect. As I understand it, that file would be used *if* root was calling it. But, as a regular user, even the first created user, you are functioning not as root. Therefore, when you execute a normal shutdown, your user profile files are being used, and those are 'hidden' within your home directory. If I'm incorrect on this, I'm sure that I'll be corrected.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog,

I think I'm having a very similar problem. Could you tell us exactly what hidden file is used when a regular user calls a shutdown procedure?

Thanks a lot,
      Tiago

Comment

I forgot to said that I used all the command with sudo and I used -r in the shutdown line, and I edited the file like a root too.

Any idea what I can do?

Thanks

Comment

Hi,
          Today I even update the BIOS of my motherboard, but I still have it the problem. I can't find how to fix it.

Who can help me?

Thanks

Comment

Try this:
            press Alt+F2, type kdesu kate /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
            search for the FIRST LINE with [X-:*-Core]
            add the follow line BELOW it: TerminateServer=True
            Save and reboot.
            Now, the first reboot after this will not work, but the later reboots will.
            Please post here if it work, to help another people with the same problem.
            If you find a grammar error in my text, is because English is not my native language :-)

Comment

I think I am having the exact same problem. Sometimes when I use the shutdown or restart button from the KDE environment I end up with a screen with visual garbage and I can not get any response from the computer. I have tried all the suggested methods (even upgraded to the newest kernel) but the problem persists. Considering the "TerminateServer=true" (not "True" as stated earlier by M@go) seems to reduce the frequency of the problem but still it does not fix it completely.

This is a very critical bug since i end up doing a hard reboot which eventually will burn my hard drive...Any ideas

Thanks in advance.

Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Comment

I don't know if this applys to your situation, but I was having problems with "shutdown". I used the icon, I entered "sudo shutdown -P now" and "sudo shutdown -h now" from the CLI, all with the same results, I would get "system halted" but it would not actually turn off the computer. So I got to going over any changes I had made recently, and one of them was I had added acpi=off to the kernel line in menu.lst. I removed that entry and now my shutdown commands work again.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  acpi=off
                  Ever tried acpi=off apm=power-off ("jointly") ...?

Comment

Thank you for replying. The commands "acpi=off apm=power-off" to the kernel lines have nothing to do with the problem I mentioned. These commands work only when you shutdown your system and it hangs at the very last point where it says "Will now halt". My problem is when I shutdown/reboot and I get this weird screen before even the system gets unmounted or kill any processes.
                    So, I believe the problem lies in the transition from the KDE environment to the console screen.
                    Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by tekkenlord
                      Thank you for replying.
                      I didn't reply to your post until know, that is: in order to (hopefully) narrow down the source of your problem, you may want to separate the log out from the shutdown, read: 1. leave KDE, 2. stop Linux ... (?).

Comment

I do not understand exactly what you mean by "you may want to separate the log out from the shutdown, read: 1. leave KDE, 2. stop Linux"...sorry....
                        Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Comment

I do not understand exactly what you mean
                          In fact, you do quite well:

I also have noticed that when first logging out of the KDE and using shutdown/restart from the KDM it works flawlessly (at least until now...).
                          From my point of view, this proves that at least your specific problem (which I'm unfortunately not able to reproduce on any of my test systems) is to be located "inside" KDE itself.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                            acpi=off
                            Ever tried acpi=off apm=power-off ("jointly") ...?
                            Yes, it reaches the "system halted" stage, and stays there. No powerdown.

Comment

Yes, it reaches the "system halted" stage, and stays there. No powerdown.
                              Hmmm ... with the apm[d] package installed?

Comment

Working...
                              X