This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install keeps crashing computer

I'm trying to install kubuntu on my friends computer on a brand new hard drive. So i went through the whole installation process, and the last thing i saw was the progress bar at "configuring hardware". i left the room and came back to see the computer was off. And now, I can't get anywhere. Booting from hard drive does absolutely nothing (it just hangs). If i boot off the cd, and run kubuntu, the computer turns off while it's trying to boot linux. It does the same thing with the safe graphics option. I can't do anything on the computer now! It just keeps turning off.

What could be causing this? How do i reformat the hard drive?
    The only thing odd i noticed during the installation process was that it recognized the hard drive as SCSI, when it is not (it's IDE/PATA).

Any ideas?

Re: Install keeps crashing computer

I encountered pretty much the same problem on one of my boxes - after some research I managed to isolate ACPI causing the problems. Because of some faulty sensors or w/e on my Desktop PC it was thinking the box overheated and initiated the shutdown during installation. Appending acpi=off to the kernel parameters while booting from the LiveCD fixed that for me, probably worth a try.

And the hard drive getting recognized/named as SCSI is totally ok with the current subsystem.

Comment

Re: Install keeps crashing computer

acpi=off did the trick! Kubuntu is installed and running wonderfully. I installed in on my friend's computer who knows nothing about computers. His first words upon seeing the fresh install were "wow, it looks better than windows".

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X