X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install/Upgrade failure

Well, a resounding silence on this so maybe I can be more specific -

If I can get into a terminal, and I can't figure out how stop the boot process before it hangs at the moment, can
    I look at a log file that will help with this, or maybe repeat/restart the upgrade process.

During the installation of the new system I got a window saying 'unexpected Sig 11 SIGSEGV' or something similar 3 or 4 times, which was a bit worrying.

Abunt

Initial post -

I just tried to do an upgrade from Edgy 6.10 to the latest Feisty. I followed the instructions below and as advised when I added the pre-feisty-upgrade repository a wizard ran. It downloaded 1267 (?) new files but 59% of the way through installing them it crashed and would not continue. Is there anything I can do to recover, or must I do a clean install?

Many thanks.

More info -

If I break into the boot process (Esc when Grub is counting down) and then choose a recovery mode kernel, the boot process all goes well until it hangs at this point - * setting up console font and keymap...

What I did -

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

Open the Adept Manager by going to KMenu -> System -> Adept Manager (Manage Packages).

In Adept -> Manage Repositories enable edgy-updates (or feisty-updates "Recommended Updates" if you are already on feisty)

If you are using the Edgy KDE 3.5.6 repository, also add deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-356-pre-feisty-upgrade/ edgy main

If your system is up to date, the upgrade wizard will be offered it via the Version Upgrade button. Otherwise:

Press the Full Upgrade button.

Press the Apply Changes button.

Once the packages are installed, exit the Adept Manager (Adept -> Quit).

Repeat the initial steps (1-4).

Re: Install failure

I can add a bit more... if I break into the boot process (Esc when Grub is counting down) and then choose a recovery mode kernel, the boot process all goes well until it hangs at * setting up console font and keymap...

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: Install/Upgrade failure

from the terminal try the following: sudo apt-get check, if it suggest a command use it. Then try sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade. if at any time it suggests another command use it first. Also another command to try is sudo apt-get clean. If everything goes well try last: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

In addtions to the problems mentioned above I have to tell that
        even after a dozen attempts I was not able to install
        Kubuntu 7.04 from the live CD.Every time it throwsup some
        new error the most common being "The KDE process died unexpectedly".
        I tried memory test and everything else suggested by my friends.
        The maximum I could go is up to the stage "Select Your Language".
        But it did not show any list of languages at all I waited for half an hour, but when the cd rom was not showing any flickering light for about 35 minutes,
        I threw up my hands.I made 4 more attempts after that but without
        success.Should I install "Ubuntu 5.1" and then "Kubuntu 7.04" ?
        Windows XP Professional is already there on my machine.How partitioning is to be done ?
        C20 GB) No O/S but my data files only
        D10 GB) EMPTY
        E: (9 GB)XP PROF O/S

Comment

The "suddenly died" can come from a bad cd (of which I now have stacks). Hardware problems can also cause that.

hawk
          Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Working...
          X