X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If installation worked!

Hey all,

This is my first post, as well as my first attempt to get rid of Windows . So far, this has been nothing but trouble. First of all I am a total noob at Linux and I don't have a clue at what all this code names mean. Why can't their just be one? And why can't this one actually have a install method that works? Anyway, so I boot up the live disk (that I burned the ISO image to) and of course I click install. Well I don't know much about partitions besides the fact I have one for backups when I need to reformat. So of course I have no clue how much space I need to partition so I just go with the "guided" first option which I assume makes the best (or what it assumes is the best) amount of space. Well that's fine, I don't mind it doing that. So I hit next and I get a small box with 0% that says it is resizing, and wa la... error "Resizing Partition Failure". What?... so now I am lead to believe I need to download something called Gpart and I can partition the drive myself with it. Then I go back to my first problem, I don't how much and I will probably mess something up... Can anybody help?

Re: If installation worked!

Are you trying to set up your computer to dual boot, both windows and Kubuntu? If so, the first thing you need to do is to defrag windows. I suggest you do it from safe mode for a better job. The partition manager is running into a problem resizing the windows partition to make room for Kubuntu because the current windows partition is fragmented. Once you've done that you should be able to proceed with the partitioning and install.

Comment

Some basic information as to what you have, and have (or have) not done in preparation to install Linux is in order.

1. What version of Windows do you have installed?

2. What version of Linux did you burn to the LiveCD?

3. What type of PC do you have (desktop or laptop)?

4. Do know what type of video card (or chip) you have. This can be very important to know, as video driver problems (I like 'challenges') after installation tend to be the #1 post-installation problems reported.

5. How are you connected to the Internet? Dial-up modem (what type; another potential installation problem); Ethernet card to DSL modem; Wireless connection; Other.

Knowing what hardware you have (monitor brand/model/type (if not a laptop), video card/chip set, maximum resolution settings the monitor will display (size and frequencies) before you install will generally (if not nearly completely) save you a lot of potential frustration.

And lastly, before you decide to install, just run the LiveCD and see how you like it. This has two benefits. First, during the setup, which the LiveCD will perform, it will detect the hardware on your system. If the LiveCD runs, and you end up on a functioning desktop, and the screen resolution is what you expect, then the video driver for your system isn't a problem. If then, you are also able to connect to the Internet with Konqueror (the 'browser'), then your network connection is also being supported. Both are good signs. Second, you get to play around with the OS and see if you actually like it.

Don't be (to) frustrated at the beginning. Linux does have a learning curve, that for some (okay, maybe many) who have never used anything but Windows, can be anything but level (some degree of steep). But, the *ubuntu distributions of Linux were designed to be usable by humans (you are human, yes? )
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey guys,

Well, here I am running Kubuntu after installation. I didn't have any problems with the internet or video. I am still running a high resolution by default actually. I've had no problems. Here are my specs

AMD Athlon 3000+
        160 Gig HDD
        1 Gig RAM
        GeForce 7800 GS OC (AGP)
        Desktop

The only problem is when I set my Linux Partition to active my XP partition went Hidden. How can I fix that so I can dual boot?

I would like to go ahead and download the official linux drivers for my card just to make sure. I will probably want to play Quake 4 soon.

If there is one thing I need to know, it is how the heck do I know what to download? I go to nvidia and look at the drivers for linux and wtf? I don't know which one to download lol.

Comment

Oh wow, you know what? You won't believe this but I was able to go in the display config and the GeForce 7 series was already there....

Comment

As for dual-booting Linux and Windows, you should read through Qqmike's post:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X