This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 7.04 can't shuntdown

Hi guys. I am a new user of Kubuntu. It’s already one year I started using Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake). It works superbly on my Intel Pentium III and I find it fantastic especially because it’s free and easy to install and use. As a university student I therefore decided to stick to this OS because it provides a whole range of facilities and it almost never crashes.
    However I have recently installed Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) on my PC and I am facing the following problems:

1. There's a funny bug in the time zone chooser. The map never showed up, and I just got a lot of little nodes on top of the previous page. This is not a serious problem because I can still choose my location and install Kubuntu 7.04 successfully

2. My second major problem is that I have trouble shutting down my system inside KDE (K Menu >> Log Out>> Shutdown). When I do that, I get the blue Kubuntu logo with a black background (which is normal for the shutdown sequence), but this logo keeps flashing over and over and the system never shuts down. At this point I am left with no option other than to reset my PC which I think is not a good thing to do every time. I have also tried the other options available to logout but they do not work. Please note that shutting down the system in Kubuntu 6.06 was never a problem for me.

3. As it was the case with Kubuntu 6.06, Kubuntu 7.04 did not detect my modem. I do understand that most winmodems are not supported by Kubuntu by default and that I have to look for drivers that will enable the use of such modems but despite my efforts I could not find one for my modem (on this site https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SettingUpModems). Yes you are right I cannot connect to the internet till I find this driver.

I'll list some fact that might be relevant to the problem:
    System
    System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
    System Model VT82C693ABX
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~799 Mhz
    Intel Pentium III
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG, 27/07/2000
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Total Physical Memory 320.00 MB
    Modem
    Name Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem
    Description Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem
    Device Type Internal Modem
    Attached To COM3
    Answer Mode Not Available
    Provider Name Motorola Inc
    Responses Key Name Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem::Motorola
    Memory Address 0xE6800000-0xE68000FF
    IRQ Channel IRQ 12
    Display
    Name SiS 6326
    Adapter Type SiS 6326, SiS 6326 compatible
    Adapter Description SiS 6326
    Adapter RAM 8.00 MB (8,388,608 bytes)
    Resolution 1024 x 768 x 85 hertz

Is there anything I can do to solve these problems especially the 2nd and the 3rd one?
    Please help me.
    Thanks a lot
    S

Re: kubuntu 7.04 can't shuntdown

I can only comment on issue #2 which incidentally happens to me as well. I can chose any of those two and they work, one involves typing the command from the prompt
    sudo shutdown now
    or you may want the cleaner method as method #1 doesn't always work 100% of the times. This is a known bug by the way. As suggested from several posts on here, the easiest way is to log out from the current session and when presented with the log in screen, chose shut down from there. It works.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Working...
    X