This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation help please

Ok ive grabbed the kubuntu 7.04 DVD but just having some trouble trying to install it to a 102GB partition (formatted NTFS) but ive no ide how to do it. ive got an xp install on a 10GB partition and a 200GB storage partition where all my files are that i do not want to loose. Now when i goto installing Kubuntu it doesnt show anything at all about partitions - only creating new partitions that will erase my others now as i mentioned before that is NOT what i want, could someone shed some light into this please ive really no idea what i am doing. i just want to install it to the empty 102GB partition, im not to bothered about loosing my xp installation but my storage i really need, thanks if you can help me through it

Re: Installation help please

The 102GB partition you have (NTFS) will have to be reformatted to an ext3 partition (there are other types that Linux can 'see') or deleted so it becomes 'unallocated' space. The installation can then procede with you being able to designate this 'space' as what you want to use for Kubuntu.

The 'easiest' way to go about this, would to download and burn to CD, the GParted LiveCD. But, you can use fdisk too. You do need to know what you are doing with fdisk; you can seriously mess up you system if you don't. GParted is a graphical interface, and shows you how your HD is set up, and makes it easier 'not to mess things up.'
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Installation help please

Yes i agree like above your 102GB partition will have to be changed to ext2 or ext3, these are what Linux can reconise. This can be done in the linux installation (feisty fawn).

Comment

Working...
      X